Francis Hwang on Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:35:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> 'IANA' to revoke .su ccTLD?

Morlock Elloi wrote:

>The real issue is how to sidestep the current DNS with its root servers
>controlled by people that didn't quite managed to become politicians, but
>thanks to this internet thingie got some sort of power anyways.

One option that isn't discussed often is that the country code
maintainers have some autonomy regards to where their name-serving
authority is allocated. Two years ago, unhappy with their clout in
ICANN, they loosely considered taking their root servers elsewhere,
which made ICANN perk up right away. I wrote about it in the
dearly-departed Feed. Now, where did I put that link? Oh, yes:

http://fhwang.net/eminent_domain.html

Of course, that article sounds excessively optimistic, considering
that it's since been almost two years and very little has happened
that might possibly reform ICANN. ICANN reform, as political causes
go, suffers from similar problems as causes like savings & loan
regulation and electoral reform: They're just too complicated for
most people to care about. Sure, politicos and list-lurkers like
ourselves might get all frothy about the details, but try explaining
the DNS system to most people and their eyes start to glaze over and
they start thinking about things like the next episode of Big
Brother, and whether or not Britney's really a virgin ...

I wonder how the recent DDOS on the DNS root servers fits into all
this, by the way. I can understand the script kiddie motivation to
attack, say, microsoft.com, but what's the percentage of making the
whole domain name system break? Unless, of course, you're trying to
drum up support for some sort of alternate DNS system that would make
ICANN irrelevant.

The Internet perceives ICANN as damage and routes around it?

Francis