Calin on Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:48:03 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> the last documenta as we knew them

The latest Documenta raised, like no other art event before, quite some
reactions on this list. That is due I guess to a certain convergence
between social analysis, media criticism and artistic practice.
Cross-domain inter-contamination is a good sign - it means
communication; and a bad sign - it means that specialized activities are
vanishing under the pressure of syncretism.

The most obvious sign that the Roman Empire was on the brink of the
collapse has been the disappearance of the artisans, with their strait,
narrow, and reliable practice. Anyway, although being out of the agenda
by now, and also out of debate, maybe there is some interest for this
retrospective of what might be the last Documenta, as we know it. Text
to be published in Romanian version in the art magazine Balkon
(wwww.balkon.ro).

1. Documenta XI surfaced into the public attention in a period of
radicalisation in the world's politics and economy. Therefore the
appointment of a non-European, non-Caucasian Artistic Director was
perceived as an obvious statement for change. After a long (and probably
internally very active) period of total media silence, this statement
was enforced by a series of events called platforms - that is the
conferences in Vienna, New Delhi, Berlin, St. Lucia, Lagos. From that
moment on my legitimate interest for the upcoming event started to be
tainted with bits of doubt. No matter how much I appreciate colloquia,
conferences, workshops and other types of gatherings of peers around
hot/cold issues, they are in the end a common place, a circuit, and - as
I just said - a gathering of peers. By just moving one of them to Lagos,
in an exotic place, this closed medium was not generating more
effectiveness beyond a particular circle. And why "Platforms"? This is
another common place of the 90s, exhausted by a leftist intellectual
discourse so much indebted to the Delleuze - Guattari concepts preparing
what we discovered lately to be the globalisation. I know that platforms
sound a bit better that the "Plateaux of Mankind" trumpeted by Harald
Szeeman in the Venice Biennial, but it sounds as arrogant as that. So,
the curatorial team started by building platforms, then invited to climb
there a few luminaries of the world thinking, in order to contemplate
together whatever was supposed to be the platform number five, the
exhibition.

Packaged with a dogmatic persistence as being just one of the platforms,
the eleventh Documenta was heading in the direction pointed at by the
previous one, also very busy in re-branding the exhibition into the
pre-text of a larger conglomerate of topics and media. This is not a bad
thing in itself - it depends on how this conglomerate is structured.
Which brings a more general question: what should one expect from (yet
another) Documenta? Considering the fact that this is a mass event - one
should expect entertainment (in the sense of emotional fulfillment).
Considering that this is a massive (infrastructurally speaking) event -
one should expect experiment. When (and only when) entertainment and
experiment are covered, one can expect the introduction of reflection.
There is no line separating those three elements, which must be
organically imbedded in the whole. Ideally, a visitor at Documenta - be
it a doctor going out with the family for a smart weekend, or a PhD in
art and philosophy - must leave with the feeling that it was a
stimulating experience in more that one way - it opened new prospective
on life, it gave a sense of cultural continuity, and it induced a sense
of disruption.

It is only fair to ask immediately what are the difficulties implied by
such an enterprise. They can be all summed in the magic term of
management: scale management, content management, shock management,
boredom management. How to please the high and the low brow with the
same means, how to accommodate the needs of so many people, how to
combine the information overload and the suspension of disbelief.

2. It is interesting to see how were all those challenges assumed by the
curatorial team in terms of the treatment of space. As it is known by
now, Documenta's main venue is the Fredericianum - where the vision of
the whole show is summed up into a statement. At least that is what the
logic of urban circulation and architectural symbolism implies. The core
energy of the building was dedicated to an endless piece by Hanne
Darboven, whose flat and un-engaging conceptualism was indulged on the
three levels of the rotunda. The main areas of the ground floor were
dedicated to pieces reviving the sentimental painterly installations
raving in the 70s (Doris Salcedo, Chohreh Feyzdjou). Further on, an
insensitively large space was dedicated to a failure by Alfredo Jaar
(who tried to combine political comment with spiritual revelation); and
to a drop-dead-boring so-called media installation by Ecke Bonk,
pretentiously extending in wall projections digitalized excerpts from
the German dictionary of the brothers Grimm. Not to speak about the (as
usual) intellectually useless and visually incomprehensible contribution
of Maria Eichorn, which got a rather large room, while it could have fit
in a passageway with the same result (since it is basically a narrative
speculation on economic mechanisms). Meanwhile, predictable hits like
the installation of Shirin Neshat are forced into spaces that make the
relationship audience - projection literally a torture. The same goes
for the pieces of two debutantes - Zirina Bhimji and Yang Fudong - whose
lyrical films are hard to cope with unless crowding in dramatic
conditions in tiny corridor-like rooms without air. If those last cases
might be explained by pure negligence, the misunderstanding of space
necessities is striking in the case of Chantal Ackerman, whose multi-
screen films (one of the most substantial experiments with non-linear
cinema that I experienced lately) need in order to make sense precisely
the generosity of area that they were refused here.

In the Documenta-Halle, the same spatial hierarchy is undermining the
effectiveness of the experience. No matter how much I sympathise with
the Palestinian people and how much I consider that the tragedy
happening in the Middle-East has to be relentlessly in focus, I do not
see how would this agenda be helped by the fact that about 30% of this
building is dedicated to the installation of Fareed Armaly & Rashid
Mashrawi. If packaged differently, this documentation of the Palestinian
spiritual and geographical confinement would have been gaining impact.
Meanwhile, works by Johan van der Keuken, Gaston A. Ancelovici and other
filmmakers with an interesting saying were stashed on monitors, in a
traffic area strongly lit through the glass walls. The same bizarre
unfairness works at least in one more case, this time in the more
generously used Biding-Brauerei: the fascinating movies of Igloolik
Isuma Productions (www.igloolik.ca - an Inuit film company aiming at the
preservation of the oral narratives of this community in face of
modernisation, says the catalogue), are delivered on a row of monitors
hung along the passageway, like in a train station. No wonder that
comments were made about this Documenta being a gathering of National
Geographic and Descovery Channel movies; but this was not due to the
material on offer, but to the manner in which it is displayed.

Space distribution being a statement in itself, one should look also at
the way in which the three locations articulate a discourse. It becomes
rather clear retrospectively that the Documenta-Halle was supposed to
inherit some of the functions established by the previous edition - as a
documentation centre. But this space is also significant for two types
of segregation that operate in the whole event. One is media-based:
While relying heavily on such topics as archiving, accumulation of data,
processing of information, the curators did not see and use the digital
media, and namely the internet as specific tools which could not only
build artistic discourses on these principles, but which can also offer
that reflexive component mentioned above. Establishing an information
centre is what any culture house is doing nowadays; more could have been
expected form such a mega-event in terms of integrating digital data
access and digital art formats into the exhibition's flow and body.

The second segregation is concerning - unexpectedly - the political
commitments of the curators. By making the same Halle a "platform" for
the third world, a certain topical coherence was attained, but at the
same time also a strange sense of marginalisation. I would have liked to
see the educational videos of Le Groupe Amos (working on educational
topics with grass roots organisations from Congo) at the place of
Darboven's autistic piece. Or Pascal Martine Tayou's multi-media
installation (one of the best pieces in the show and a real jump forward
in the poetics of this artist) traded for the otherwise notable work of
On Kawara (also in Fredericianum).

In the same line, one must notice the treatment of the Kulturbanhof - a
sort of banlieue of the manifestation, where artists already present in
the show elsewhere are replayed, from a different point of view, maybe,
but so unnecessarily (the cases of David Goldblatt, Isa Genzken, Kendell
Geers, Mona Hatoum). While a piece with a strong statement, like the one
made by the Italian group Multiplicity on the humanitarian catastrophe
produced by the sinking of a refugee boat between Sicily and Malta is
relegated to the attic.

3. Obviously my taste and those of the curators are not a match - why
should they? But the enhanced attention towards old ways of treating
conceptualism and installation art was not sustained by reflective
bodies of historical contextualization. And it cannot be justified by
the fact that those specific works were issued in cultures where they
could have been perceived as statements of political resistance. In the
end - there is no good political art - there is only good art. On the
other hand, the political commitment - when substantiated aesthetically
- was displayed as a detail. The new and endearing pieces of work were
few, and sometimes relegated to unjustified places. I had a few moments
of fun, and a few revelations. I liked the ideas of Simparch and the
skate-bowl multi-media sculpture that they developed. I enjoyed the
kinetics of the totem installation made by Nari Ward - a simple way of
saying that gods and demons are still working in our post-colonial
confusion. I tried to spend more time with Eija-Liisa Ahtila's
polymorphous stories and with the intensely poetic images of Craigie
Horsfield. Wiliam Eggelstone, Dieter Roth and Constant fascinated me
again. I enjoyed - for different reasons - the pieces of Fiona Tan and
of Nomeda & Gediminas Urbonas.

But all this was happening in extreme conditions - due to a trivial
detail, unexpected in an environment so luxurious and so much focused on
humane needs: the lack of air conditioning! If that was a symbolic
statement, it succeeded in deed to make the Documenta flannerie into an
oppressive and suffocating experience. If it wasn't meant to be so - it
certainly ruined a lot of that mixture entertainment - revelation -
reflection I see at the bottom rock of such an event.

But in the end of the day I didn't leave Kassel with any feeling of
exultation and with no news to chew on, except the certitude that the
formats used in Documenta XI were unfortunate, obliterating the content
and rejecting the aha erlebinss we are all looking for.