Sascha D. Freudenheim on Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:07:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The Missing Pieces of the Bush Plan for Preemptive Action

The question must be asked: Does President Bush's proposed argument in
favor of preemptive action by the U.S. go far enough?

Courtesy of the author and posted with permission.
"Preemptive Powers"
By A.D. Freudenheim, 22 September 2002
Posted on: http://www.thetruthasiseeit.com

The Bush administration has recently outlined a rationale for preemptive
action by the United States against Iraq, in order to protect the health
and welfare of Americans; indeed, the structure of the Bush
Administration's new national security plan is such that it formalizes
preemptive action as a key part of the American strategy for continued
success in world affairs.  Yet as with most things enacted or undertaken
by this administration, it does not go far enough in its intended aims.
Therefore, I would like to make some suggestions as to how preemptive
action could be applied in other areas to help clean up the U.S.A. - and
the world, too.

First of all, there is no bigger scourge in our society than crime,
whether it is drug related crime, petty thievery, or stunning acts of
violence.  We also know, statistically, that poor people are more likely
to commit crimes, and yet the Bush people have done  little to address
this problem or to propose an effective solution.  The Bush
administration could easily preempt the problem of poverty-related
criminality by putting every public housing project in the U.S. under a
total lockdown and placing all inhabitants under house arrest.  Even
with the expense of bringing in food for those inside, the costs would
be significantly less than the $200 billion we are likely to spend on a
war with Iraq - and the benefits for those of us living here would
surely be tremendous.

Of course, as the last 18 months have shown so clearly, we are also
faced with a tremendous problem of criminality among the nation's
business leaders; criminal behavior is not limited to the poor.  Whether
we are considering the outright illegalities of which many Enron, Tyco,
and WorldCom executives stand accused, or the legally- and
ethically-problematic manipulations of the market by stock analysts and
their biggest investors, the problem could be easily addressed through
preemptive action.  President Bush should sign an Executive Order
authorizing the arrest of: every "C-class" employee of every
publicly-traded company in the U.S., with a particular attention to
those whose stocks are traded on the NASDAQ or which have had IPOs in
the last 10 years; the leadership of the major accounting firms, since
we surely have not heard the last of their misdeeds; and probably, any
individual broker with more than $1 million in assets under his or her
management, to preempt the possibility of them giving compromised advice.

On the environment, the Bushies' record is (surprisingly) a little
better.  Already, the President has suggested that preemptive logging
could help eliminate the nasty forest fires that have been plaguing our
nation.  No trees = no forest fires, Q.E.D!  By the same token, however,
the administration is not doing enough to protect our clean air and
clean water - perhaps the two most important substances for sustaining
our lives and our liberty.  To paraphrase from a popular song, How can I
be proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, if I'm
having trouble breathing and Tom Lehrer's famous song "Pollution"
(http://www.armory.com/~keeper/1/pollutn.htm) is also ringing in my
ears?  The administration must act, now, by banning any single-occupancy
vehicle from the road, to drastically cut harmful automobile emissions;
they must also preemptively nationalize any manufacturing facility that
sits by a body of water, where polluting could take place; and they must
preemptively stop all farmers from using artificial fertilizers or
animal feed, to prevent the run-off from these farms that is spoiling
too much of the water that lies below ground.

Last, but not least, there are a few other preemptive actions needed to
resolve troublesome foreign policy problems.  To eliminate the problem
of drugs, the Bush administration should nuke any non-urban area in the
following countries: Mexico, Colombia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Laos,
Cambodia, Thailand, Viet Nam, Myanmar, and Jamaica.  (We do not need to
worry about China, the smart bastards - they automatically execute
anyone caught smuggling drugs.)  This would pro-actively remove the
world's primary suppliers of marijuana, cocaine, and heroine, and serve
as a marvelous warning of the dangers of drug-growing for any other
nation presently contemplating its prospects in this area.  Likewise,
the U.S. should also nuke The Netherlands, where much drug use is either
completely legal or too highly tolerated, and consider nuking Great
Britain as well, given their recent decision to consider legalizing
marijuana use.

Once Mr. Bush and his team are finished with all of that, they can turn
their attention back to the pot growers in Humboldt County, California.
I hear that not only are those folks growing weed by the bushel, but
they vote Democrat as well.  Certainly sounds like a cause for
preemptive action if ever there was one.