Ivo Skoric on Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:21:11 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Oil, Blood and Gore

This thing with buldozzers - that's new in the histoty of warfare,
isn't it? I mean Serbs and Croats blew up and burned buildings in
their process of ethnic cleansing. Israel is bringing demolition
crews with buldozzers - taking the obvious military aspect out of
the operation.

Ok, they digged a trench around Arafat's compound. Again! And
whenever they do it, Arafat's popularity soars. Is he paying Sharon
for the blockade? Why would Sharon pay for the fuel, food and
soldiers to boost his enemy's ratings? Where is the logic to that?

And have you heard Gore's speech yesterday? The elected
president called Bushites appeal for US global dominance - un-
American (hey, I am calling TIPS on Bush!). Donahue summoned
Jesse Jackson to studio and they both salivated over Gore's
speech.

You could see a nostalgic streak in Donahue's voice: wouldn't it be
nice if Gore was so assertive during the electoral campaign? One
wonders can the Supreme Court reverse its decision and appoint
him President now, as they did with Bush initially?

Schroeder won elections in Germany. The "German way" paid well.
The only problem is that the "German way" went in the opposite
direction of the "American way" this time. And Schroeder nearly
miscalculated the unpopularity of American pit-bull president in
Europe.

For example, his (former) justice minister putting Bush's name in
the same sentence with Hitler's name did not really fly very well. It
was a too obvious attempt to vote-grabbing by a sensationalist
libel. What exactly did George do so far to deserve being put in the
same file with Adolf? He used war talk to mask domestic troubles.
Well, hello, most of politicians do that, and not all of them become
Hitlers.

But it played well for my favorite European politician: Jossca
Fischer. It is absolutely hilarious to see a guy who built his political
base in anti-NATO marches, defending German-US alliance
against the cheap tricks of electoral politics. The result: SPD lost
votes, Greens gained votes, and Schroeder remained chancellor
mostly thanks to Jossca.

My friend, now in Europe, thinks I've been in America too long, so
now I started to think that all that's bad comes frome here. I think
she's been abroad too long. This place underwent some changes.
We got Comodus for an Emperor. Marcus Aurelius is long dead.
This is not any more about values, it is about global dominance,
and this is plainly said that way. Emperor bought the People with
war games and tax breaks.

I think comparation with Roman Emperors is much more apt than
with the certain hated German chancellor, given at least current
American position in the world. It is important to remember that all
parties to the wars of Yugoslav succession were rabidly
nationalistic and ready to use violence to further their political and
economical goals, but that Serbs were the ones that caused
Yugoslav concept to fail, and the ones that ultimately became
responsible for the most gruesome of crimes against humanity
committed in the course of those wars.

Why? Is this because they were substantially more evil than
Albanians, Croats or Bosnians? No. The evil is justly spread
across the nations. There is Mohammed Atta and there is Tim
McVeigh. It is the POWER. Serbs had more people, more
weapons and more resources at their disposal than anybody else
at the same level of evil. If evil has no power available, it is
harmless. To that extent OBL is dangerous not only because he is
evil, but because he is both evil and very rich.

There is much more damage that can be done to the world by the
U.S. than by any other nation. The unipolarity of power
concentrated in the U.S. in the post-cold war period places on that
country a greater responsibility for restraint. Because, while evil,
indeed, is multi-polar, the real potential for it to do its unholly work
lies within the most powerful of nations.

I am not sure whether Bush is realizing the long-term
consequences (beyond cheaper oil, of course). Milosevic also did
not actually think about killing and raping thousands of people in
Bosnia. He hoped of getting Yugoslavia minus Slovenia united
under his dictatorial rule and move ahead as a new Tito. But it did
not happen that way. He committed an act of hubris and is paying
for it now at The Hague. And Bush war may go terribly wrong as
well. This is just my gut feeling.

Sadly, it is true that 'bazaari approach' is the rule of the road in the
Middle East, and that 'horse trading' is the rule of the road of
American politics, which means that Bush may get his war,
regardless of potential consequences.

First, the Congress: Democrats will have no chance to talk about
domestic issues, which they hoped to use to win more seats in
Congress this November, if the only thing Congress talks about is
the war on Iraq. So, Democrats stand to gain from quick vote,
that's the conventional wisdom.

It is not a surprise that Gore would go against the conventional
wisdom, though. The Congress still may give Bush a green light,
just to get Iraq off the agenda (this is actually how Comodus
handled Roman Senate, that's where I took the comparison from).

Likewise, he will eventually buy the allies with spoils from war:
French, Italian and Russian companies stand to gain the most from
their unrealized oil interest in Iraq.  Putin, who, so far politely
refused to say yes on Bushites war, can still be swayed by
guaranties that the new pro-US regime in Iraq will pay back $8B
owed to Russia, and well, Putin is planning a war of his own in
Georgia, so he may be willing to trade support.

That leaves Security Council with only one possible veto: China.
But the US is more than willing to forget the plight of Muslim
Uighurs and Buddhist Tibet to secure China abstaining from veto.
Then, there is Turkey, which is willing to do whatever Bush asks it
to, for meager $10B and for control of Iraq's Kurds.

What exactly would the US get out of that war, then? With
developing oil fields in Iraq under a pro-Western government, there
would be substantially more oil on the market, which means, oil
would generally get cheaper. And we all know the great lengths the
country, that consumes 25% of world's oil's production, is ready to
go to get cheaper oil.

I could imagine Germany being pissed because they failed to
secure an interest in Iraq beforehand (but they would also profit
from cheaper oil, as would any industrialized oil importing nation),
and I could imagine Gulf states like Saudi Arabia being unahappy
about prospects of lowering oil price, but then, they can always get
to buy more American weapons to keep them in power, regardless
of how bad their economies go, and the royal family won't really
end up in poverty even with oil price ten times lower than it is now,
given their US protected absolute control over the resource.

So, it's done deal, Saddam should just shoot himself to make the
ordeal of his people shorter. Of course, this all may be a hubris
that the US is going to pay dearly - what if OBL anticipated this
development and has taken steps for Al Qaeda to take over Iraq as
Saddam is pushed out? That's where we get back to the Gore's
speech: the question is not about the war on Iraq, it is abouth
whether the Bushites have anything in store for the peace in the
region. Is there any Marshall Plan equivalent in the works for the
Middle East? How can we be sure that Saddam's fall will be
followed by a pro-democracy, free market government, and not by
some Taliban?

ivo