nettime's_immod on Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:29:44 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> several modest proposals digest [miller mez garcia nechvatal]

Re: <nettime> a modest proposal for josephine bosma
     Eric Miller <eric@squishymedia.com>
     "app][lick.ation][end.age" <netwurker@hotkey.net.au>
     "David Garcia" <davidg@xs4all.nl>
Documenta XI:no laughing matter / A letter to Josephine Bosma (on Documenta XI)
     "Joseph Nechvatal" <joseph_nechvatal@hotmail.com>

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 01:45:45 +0200
Subject: Re: <nettime> a modest proposal for josephine bosma
From: Eric Miller <eric@squishymedia.com>

Hi all,
A few thoughts after reading this:

One, from a purely practical standpoint there's a huge challenge for the
would-be net.artist...the technology is difficult and requires full-time
devotion to learning applications, something that your average conceptual
artist isn't going to have the luxury or perhaps the mindset to accomplish.
Creating something that is visually interesting in Flash, and finding a new
way to say it, almost always requires object-oriented programming skills,
traditionally the domain of engineering types.  And talented engineers with
borderline Asperger's Syndrome personalities aren't exactly known for
artistic innovation.

Given that, one can usually eyeball a net.art project and drop it into one
of two camps: artists with strong conceptual skills who are dabbling with
technology and haven't truly grasped the medium, and developers who spend so
much time in the literal binary world of coding that their art efforts can
lack deeper meaning.  The generalists in between who are capable of bridging
the gap don't often produce compelling work on either front, which doesn't
bode well for the individual artist trying to triangulate the required
technical skillsets with the conceptual skills behind powerful art.  Maybe
that's why so many collectives are forming around the medium...you need a
wider skillset in this medium than most individuals can provide.

But secondly: maybe I'm missing something, but why _does_ art have to be
political?  Why can't it be based on abstract aesthetic beauty, or humor, or
contemporary cultural contexts, or scatology, or whatever pleases the
artist?  I don't see why the context for meaning in art is required to be
sober and politicized in order to earn the label of virtuous and worthy.
The openness of the net.art community to judge works based on criteria other
than politicization would seem to be an asset, not a failure.  To deny the
artistic validity of any work that's not soberly political is a pretty
narrow criteria for assessing value.  Wasnąt that an observation being made
on the recent Documenta 11 thread?  So to say that curators who lack a
formal educational background in art history are unqualified, presumably
because they wouldn't automatically contextualize all art in a rigid
political conceptual framework, smacks of art establishment elitism.  When
critiquing a nascent art movement's ideological straitjacket, one might do
well to shed one's own.

And it's funny that deterritorialization should be portrayed as a conceptual
weakness, when it really acts as a functional strength.  Regardless of the
virtues and failures of globalization, location really doesnąt matter as
much to Net workers and artists as it does to those who work in more
concrete spaces.  Critiquing the net.art world's grasp of the statelessness
of the medium is a bit backwards...they GET that a website is not bound to a
physical location, nor are the creators of the work or the audience.  It
seems that the unfamiliarity of this statelessness sparks a certain degree
of apprehension in more traditional art circles.

Lastly, I think many net.artists might take offense at the proposition that
their work is inherently shackled to corporate motivations.  I know a lot of
artists with cell phones, and I'd daresay that their work doesn't center
around shilling for Motorola and Nokia.  I'd think that we could give
artists a little more credit for thinking critically.

We're still learning how to use this medium, and we're still learning how to
critique it.  Forcing the critical dialogue into a conceptual framework that
can't accept certain fundamentals about the medium is flawed.  Especially if
the aforementioned framework is calcified by dogma.

On 24-08-2002 03:59, "TONGOLELE@aol.com" <TONGOLELE@aol.com> wrote:

> A Modest Proposal for Josephine Bosma (jesis@xs4all.nl)
> final review net.art/culture
>
> Net.Art:  a laughing matter?