Keith Sanborn on Sun, 18 Aug 2002 01:58:03 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Menso Heus: [rant] And this is why record salesdrop...

Well, I have to agree. Ironically, this copy protection scheme can be
defeated, so I read somewhere, but simply taking a magic marker and
scribbling around the edges of the disk (on the bottom of course).

No artist I am interested in would subscribe to this kind of copy
protection scheme. I'm hopeful this system is gonna die, but it will take
a lot of little episodes like that. Music people are really paranoid about
copy protection, as well they might be. My sister does design for various
places in LA who make records--I won't mention names but anyone would
recognize them. Her strategy has been to make the packaging so kewl that
the devoted fans at least will buy the cd to have the kewl packaging. I
have also seen this strategy followed by more avant-garde record labels
who put complex brochures in the packaging which it's more trouble than
it's worth to copy. In many cases, the disks without the packaging
genuinely don't provide the same quality of experience when technical,
political notes are omitted.

Keith Sanborn