anarcho sando on Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:49:26 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> pc stuff hacking in china Hack the planet.

hacking china

http://www.computing.co.uk/News/1133117

http://www.mail-archive.com/smongol-l@taklamakan.org/msg00075.html

During the last year we have been witness to a sort of telecom-crash.
Telecom corporations have invested a huge amount of money in order to buy
the frequencies of the UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System).
Huge amounts of money have also been invested in the creation of technical
infrastructures like the fibre-optic cable network. But all this is not
actually in use. According to the Financial Times (6 September 2001,
'Information Glut'), only 2.5% of the existing network of fibre-optic
cable is being utilised. The rest is dark fibre. In the same issue of the
Financial Times we learn that only 3% of the capability of the telephone
system all over the world is actually used.

http://slash.autonomedia.org/analysis/02/08/08/1412201.shtml