nettime_industry_association_of_america on Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:11:44 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Y(D)?OYON digest [recktenwaldX2, MWPX2, curator, alexander, sanborn]

     Re: <nettime> Starbucks vs. Sam Bucks - think you own your name?
Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
MWP <mpalmer@jps.net>
Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
curator <curator@conceptualart.org>
Amy Alexander <plagiari@plagiarist.org>
Keith Sanborn <mrzero@panix.com>
     hasta basta
MWP <mpalmer@jps.net>

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:20:14 +0200 (CEST)
From: Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Starbucks vs. Sam Bucks - think you own your name?

> Her name is NOT Sam Bucks, but Samantha Buck. It seems to me like she most
> likely changed her name to make it sound suspiciously similar to
> Starbucks, especially when she removed the space between "m" and "B" in
> her name (see photo), and added the totally gratuitous "s" at the end.
> (Now if she had called it "Sam Buck's," with the appropriate apostrophe
> insertion, she might have a better case.) The photo in the above link
> shows just how close the match is.

Well, the s. Anyway, Sam Bucks's and Sam Bucks, which might look better,
is closer than Sam Bucks or SamBucks and Starbucks. What have amB and tarb
in common ? An a.

H.

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 08:46:27 -0700
From: MWP <mpalmer@jps.net>

Oops! AND a B/b. AND a monosyllable. AND a surrounding context. etc. Point is,
it doesn't have to be identical. If I start selling cartoon mice on t-shirts
and call myself Wolt Dizmey, I think it is obvious who I am ripping off.
Capitalism and its discontents. . .

 <...>