Rick Bradley on Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:06:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> question: GPL or OPL?

* pankalia@netscape.net (pankalia@netscape.net) [020729 19:56]:
> does anybody knows the difference between GPL and OPL?.

Yes.

> Applied to texts do we need to use OPL instead of GPL or it doesn't matter
> at all because it's the same?

OPL should be applied to texts.  The BSD license should be applied to
code.  While it is quite clearly all the same, lawyers tend to disagree.
There is no contradiction there.

> And if we use the "C" and the "copyleft" statement it means we use the
> GPL?

If you distribute code along with the LICENSE file containing a copy
of the GPL license then you are using the GPL.  If you distribute GPL
licensed software without this file, or without making the source
available, then you have violated the GPL.

> And why do we need a OPL if we have the GPL that could be applied to
> everything?

Because, while the GPL could be applied to everything it would often be
nonsensical to do so.  Read the text of the GPL and ask yourself how the
concept of library linkage applies to a text.

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 212    (91F/102F)
                       |  for whom we did the
   random email haiku  |  work are way behind schedule