Melissa Byrd on Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:07:21 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: I strongly disagree with your policy

Dear Geert,

Richard Perlman, ISOC-VP for Conferences, has responded to your concern in
the letter below. I sincerely hope this clears up the apparent confusion.
Any further comments regarding this matter may be directed towards Mr. Perlman.

Sincerely,
Melissa Byrd
Marketing Communications

To all those concerned with issues regarding Press Passes for INET2002:

This morning I have been able to assemble what I think is a complete account
of the issues surrounding the request for Press credentials for the Amateur
Computerist. The rest of this letter outlines what I have learned and my
response to the situation.

The request for two press passes for INET2002 from the "Amateur Computerist"
was received by Foretec on May 19th. At that time (less than a month before
the conference) Press Credentials had already been issued to 46 persons from
31 different organizations. Note that contract between ISOC and Foretec
specifies an explicit limit of 50 press passes for the conference. Four
passes were being held in reserve for last minute requests from major media
organizations (Network/National TV, Radio etc.).

After speaking with the people at Foretec who are managing press
credentials, it is clear that what they had intended to state in their
letter to Amateur Computerist was that the remaining passes were being
reserved for high visibility organizations. It is unfortunate that the
message created the incorrect impression that this selectivity applied to
all 50 passes - it clearly did not, as can be seen from the list of
organizations below. People working long hours do sometimes make mistakes.

Both Foretec and ISOC apologize for any confusion that may have been caused
by the wording of the e-mail response to the Amateur Computerist. An offer
to be placed on a waiting list was extended to the "Amateur Computerist, but
no response to that offer, or for that matter, any other message has been
received from them by either by Foretec or ISOC.

I can also report that the information and opinions regarding past
involvement of Amateur Computerist or the principals of that organization in
in the decision to deny the request for press credentials. After reviewing
the correspondence between Foretec and the Amateur Computerist, I am
convinced that the decision to deny the press credentials was correct, based
on the small number of passes available at the time of their request and the
information provided by Amateur Computerist about the nature and
distribution of their work.

Accordingly, while I do apologize for the misunderstanding created by the
letter to the Amateur Computerist, it is my opinion that this matter was
otherwise handled fairly, objectively and appropriately by the Foretec
staff.

Richard Perlman
ISOC - VP for Conferences
List of organizations issued Press credentials for INET 2002
Associated Press USA
CIO Radio and Magazine USA
CNET News USA
Diario ABC Color Paraguay
Direction Informatique et Les Affairs Canada
E-Commerce Magazine India
Europe Magazine EU
eWeek USA
Financial Times USA
Focus Magazine Germany
Foreign Policy USA
Government Computer News Washington DC
Himalmedia Publications Nepal
Hosting Tech USA
Howard University TV Washington DC
Information Services International - Dentsu, ltd. Japan
Internet News Italy
InfoWorld USA
ISOC's On the Internet International
Network World USA
New York Times USA
Newsweek USA
Perl Magazine India
Radio Netherlands Netherlands
San Jose Mercury News Silicon Valley
The Sunday Tribune Ireland
The Washington Post USA
WAMU- Press Washington DC
Washington Internet Daily Washington, DC
Washington Technology Washington, DC
WIRED / Politechbot.com USA/Washington, DC

Melissa Byrd
Marketing Communications

Foretec Seminars
5 Commonwealth Road