nettime's_roving_reporter on Sat, 25 May 2002 22:30:10 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ICANN Watch: ICANN Publishes Letter from Gilmore to Cerf

     [via <tbyfield@panix.com>]

<http://icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=763&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0>

   Board of Directors
   ICANN Publishes Letter from Gilmore to Cerf

   Posted by tbyfield on Friday, May 24 @ 12:06:19 MDT

   Amidst the batch of documents[1] ICANN has filed in Auerbach v ICANN, one
   is especially noteworthy, both for its eloquence and its pathos: a
   two-month-old letter from EFFer[2] John Gilmore to ICANN Chairman Vint
   Cerf (PDF here[3]).

     [1] http://www.icann.org/legal/litigation.htm
     [2] http://www.eff.org/
     [3] http://www.icann.org/legal/auerbach-v-icann/cerf-decl-16apr02.pdf

   It's not entirely clear why ICANN would think it beneficial to enter
   this into the court record -- maybe to paint the case as a personal
   vendetta, maybe to imply that Auerbach will irresponsibly distribute
   the financial documents he's requested, maybe to insinuate that the
   case is a part of a larger attack, maybe some or all of the above.
   Cerf's terse declaration sheds no light on the strategy behind it, of
   course; but it does present a very strange (at least to this
   not-a-lawyer) counterpoint to Gilmore's ferocious criticism.

    ---