Doug Kellner on Sun, 19 May 2002 20:47:10 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Cheney's the one

5/17/2002 11:16:39 AM | Douglas Kellner]
Cheney's the Man
In the discussion of who was responsible in the Bush administration for
overlooking threats of terrorist attacks after the revelation that the CIA
briefed George W. Bush about bin Laden network plans to hijack airplanes in
August 2001, so far no one has pinned the blame on the man who is in fact
most responsible for Bush administration negliance vis-à-vis terrorist
threats, Vice-President Dick Cheney. In summer 2001 it was announced that
"Cheney is point man for administration. on three major issues: energy,
Global warming, and domestic terrorism" (see CBS News, "New Terror Task
Force. Cheney To Lead at Terrorist Threats to U.S.," May 8, 2001, and a June
30, 2001 CNN report). Obviously, Cheney concentrated on energy issues, to
the detriment of paying attention to terrorism and should thus be held
responsible for Bush administration failure to deal with pre-September 11
terrorist threats. In addition to the Phoenix Arizona FBI memo that warned
of the dangers of Middle Eastern men going to flight school and gaining
skills to hijack planes, and the arrest of the alleged 20th al Qaeda
hijacker in Minnesota just previous to the September 11 terror attacks,
there were many other warnings from U.S. and foreign intelligence concerning
the dangers of al Qaeda attacks. On Israeli intelligence warning the U.S. of
terrorist networks sneaking into the U.S. for attacks, see "Officials Told
of 'Major Assault' Plans," Los Angeles Times, Sept. 20, 2001. Carolyn Kay
has assembled scores of warnings from Russian, Israeli, German, U.S. and
other intelligence sources warning that a major domestic terrorist attack
was about to unfold against the U.S., but Cheney, the Bush administration
and the National (In)security Apparatus failed to respond or prepare for the
impending attacks (see http://makethemaccountable.com/whatwhen/index.html).

There serious questions arise to Dick Cheney concerning what he did and did
not do as head of a task force on terrorism. Obviously, there was no
apparent coordination of information in the Bush administration and if
Cheney was head of the task force that was supposed to deal with terrorism,
it is disgraceful that he did not establish a group to centralize
information. There were several congressional reports over the years that
had called for a centralization of information on terrorism, including a
report by former Senators Gary Hart and Howard Rudiman in early 2001, but
the Bush administration failed to act on this. Serious questions and issues
for Mr. Cheney. Who will go after him? It is indeed interesting that Cheney
himself allegedly pleaded several times with Tom Daschel not to launch an
investigation in U.S. intelligence failures prior to September 11. Such an
inquiry would no doubt point a finger at Cheney himself, or should if the
Democrats are intelligent and have cahones.
[edit]
for more, go to my blogLeft on my homepage below, cheers, doug
 Douglas Kellner
 Graduate School of Education
 Moore Hall Mailbox 951521
 UCLA
 Los Angeles, CA 90095

 kellner@ucla.edu
 http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/kellner/kellner.html
 Fax: 310 206-6293
 Phone: 310 825-0977

> Maryland Startup Sequences English Language
 <...>