Alan Sondheim on Sun, 12 May 2002 12:10:21 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> phenomenology of approach - conclusion

(apologies for the length of this - Alan)
-

(the closing of the work)

    the phenomenology of approach

    = approaching the everglades, the city, illness, language, culture =

a text written in spurts, after the outline, chasing down, encapsulating,
circumventing. what is an approach? how does approach manifest itself to
the subject? what is the domain of the approach? what is a domain? what is
subjectivity? what is its presence and loss?

     0  intermittent text
the text of dispersal. sections are written into and out of the outline.
the text is governed by the outline. subsequent versions increase the
quantitative content, refine the tolerance of the investigation. the text
is an accumulation or collocation of interspersions.

     1	domain limited or unlimited
a limited domain is inscribed with or without fuzzy boundaries. domains
may be limited in sememe, space, and/or time. example: everglades bounded
by hydrology, ecosystem. for example (below): everglades younger than
writing, than human inscription. for example (below): the scribble:
scribbled note, indecipherable handwriting, noise in the machine. the
state/meant of the domain is always already a delimitation. (limits are
closed sets in relation to the rest of the world/s, worlding.)

     2	clues and cues from immemorial past
a clue is an interpretable symptom, according to a scheme based on an
articulated methodology. a cue is the activation of a scheme based on an
anomaly or repetitive structure within the domain. the domain in turn may
be defined by clues and cues.

     3	difference between clues and cues
a clue is based on evidence from the past to the present; a cue is based
on activation within the present.

     4	relevance theory and approach
clues and cues are such by virtue of relevance; theoretical methodology is
part of a critical sifting apparatus. relevance is already a complex
construct, ranging from variegated retinal firings to stratifications of
attention.

     5	top-down classification schema
this follows for example category theory, chaos/fractal theories; one
always already begins with pre-theoretic presuppositions. the schemes
obscure as well as clarify; they override heuristics, average anomalies
and noise. as with approach, they are always a detour in this regard; they
counteract the information implosion of nominalism.

     6	wonder, innovation, contradictions
beginning with a sense of awe - everything signs everything, everything
inscribes. innovation in terms of heuristic projections and introjections
- contradictions in terms of anomalies, revisions, recuperations, returns.
wonder is a washing, determinate sublime, approach across the edge of the
cliff, reworking binding and boundary.

     7	deep ecologies, interstitial
the ecologies become perceptually deeper; gaps are filled in; one lives in
depth in the glades, aware of cyclical time, anomalous events, local
histories, individual plants and animals. think of messy thickets as
sheaves; partial separations tend towards partial separations. format
information formats, format information. the habitus tends towards
experience.

     8	filling in the habitus
from larger to smaller clues and cues - alligators and wading birds to
landbirds and invertebrates for example. as one moves down in scale,
identification becomes increasingly difficult, if not impossible.

     9	from anomaly to behaviors
and back again; behavior clusters based on attributes. or from story to
structure, diachrony to synchrony, anecdote to prediction.

    10	sense of occupation and intimacy
inhabitation based on familiarity, familiality. what is occupation without
possession, the contract. intimacy forestalls occupation, the experiential
relegating definition. but in another sense, that of familiar territory,
'my work,' 'my walk,' 'my singing,' 'my song,' my process, my advance, my
report and distribution.

    11	familiarity, familiality
in the first, equivalence scripts and schemata, universals, typifications;
in the second, identity scripts and experientials, individuations. in
both, the failure of distributive aristotelian logics, in both the
gestured and extrapolated indefinite bandwidth. (22)

    12	maternality
chora and matrix - the inchoate beneath the surface of the subject, the
dominion of striations, vocalizations.

    13	deconstruction of the abject
disarticulation of the abject as such and rearticulation in terms of
microstructure, skein. the muck and clutter in relation to marl/peat moss
and biome or flora/fauna regimes. muck and clutter as regimes.

    14	phenomenology of naming
following the notion of rigid designators, beginning with classification,
classification experience, virtual subjectivity and its relation to
concrete manifestation.

    15	inarticulate inchoate
maternality: see above. the proffering of languaging or template. the
inert real. the unspeaking, unspeakable, unspoken.

    16	the mess and its overcoming
entanglement as regime intrusions, conflicting biomes, collapse or
implosion, niche-construction, problems of scale in space and time.
the mess overcoming.

    17	phenomenology of touch
demarcation of environment on the body - thicket tangle, poisonwood,
against the skin. differentiation of the mass. eidetic reduction to the
pressure of being.

    18	reinscription of domain
the domain _as_ continually inscribed in negotiation. linguistic contract
of the subject. increasingly fuzzy boundary issues. refinement of
differentiations - typology to decreasing tolerances.

    19	immersive and definable structures
definable is fully reversible; immersive is fuzzy, vectored. both are
capable of meta-level collocations, i.e. a definable of definable,
immersive of definable, etc.

    20	clue skeins
clues related theoretically, taxonomically, in terms of typifications,
taxonomies - heuristic skeins, established on the run. partial skeins,
tagged skeins, default tag skeins.

    21	the instrumental reason of flows and part-objects
fluid mechanics, turbulence, stases within the flow - non-equilibrium
thermodynamics. the partitioning, parcelling, clutter, of the world.
part-objects as modules: modules 'on the part of' the subject, and modules
'defined as such' within the continually reinscribed domain.

    22	gestural logics and superimpositions
such that partial information (as in land's experiments re: color vision)
extends across a total domain or spectrum.

    23	delaying conclusions and the settling-in of elements
inconclusivity of discourses which are increasingly refined. elements
noticed and defined 'settle in' - in the sense of familiarity - always
with default tags - i.e. elimination by counterexample. retention of _weak
theory_ - searching for coherency without retention of apparently outmoded
paradigms.

    24	continuous processing and absorption of anomalies
anomalies as generative of domain boundaries, entities, temporary
inscriptions, potential of part-objects, etc. the anomaly as the mis-fit
among the accountable and accounted-for. as unaccountable, uncounted, the
anomaly generates circumscriptions, circumlocutions; these are involved by
the subject in a consideration and absorption of the _detour._ every
anomaly potentially turns everything around, and is turned around by
everything.

    25	modes of approach in space and time
diachronic/synchronic approaches - space-time slices. diffusion of
occluded layerings (bay bottoms versus onshore mangrove island
topography). architectonics of the domain.

    26	horizons of 'natural' and 'unnatural' worlds
and horizons of 'subjective' and 'objective' worlds - in relation to
heuristics and experiential structures (immersivities). definition is both
tool and violation; mobile fuzzy domain boundaries participate in the
natural (i.e. given) order as well as ideological political/economic
conscious and unconscious considerations.

    27	weakening of perceptual structures and responses
approach is always already self-critical, self-critique; the critique
itself is withdrawn from the self, sublimated into emergent considerations
of the domain. the phenomenology of approach implies a weakness of
language, definition, inscription, boundary, instrumental reason; it
implies releasement, waiting (not waiting-upon) as well.

    28	releasement and listening
to listen without consideration of the source, the speech, one's answer;
to avoid pausological structures ('yes, but...'); to speak after (what
appears to be) the case.

    29	buildings, dwellings, and habitations
domains as fuzzy architectures, the build world, to the extent of the
delimitation. dwelling, as in residing within the domain, within the
subjective horizon of the experiential mode in relation to the domain. the
domain as inhabited by the subject, wor(l)ds becoming 'natural' in the
sense of familiarity, familiality.

    30	the neighborhood
it is the neighborhood, communality, the constitutes the increasing
approach of the domain. to the extent of a phenomenology of approach, the
domain is asymptotic, never fully approached. the neighborhood is a
confluence of neighborhoods, intersections demographics, zones and zoning
ordinances, ethnicities - just about any conceivable attribute, fuzzy or
not (for example, families whose surnames begin with 'Mc'). the neighbor-
hood is also a maternality, a comfort-zone, an occupation constituted by
the participant's introjections and projections. neighborhood is created
by their increasing coherency and stability, a homeostatic domain itself.
the attainment of homeostasis involves mechanisms for absorbing anomaly,
to the extent that anomaly becomes subsumed (i.e. this moth is an unknown
species within the imperial silk family).

    31	intersecting populations and worlds
no domain is pure, no approach can posit an isolated object for long.
skeins intermesh diachronically and synchronically, across disciplines and
other semi-rigid boundaries of the classical episteme. domains possess
symptomatic leakage and staining; there are stigma-zones, exhaustion
zones, depletion zones, zones of surplus accumulations. what is posited as
an object both diffuses and expands; becoming invisible, it participates
within neighborhooding, worlding - becoming visible, it participates in
skew-orthogonal skeining and the report.

    32	phenomenology of withdrawal
every approach is a withdrawal; what is known is known in recession. the
decrease of tolerance is asymptotic at best. the greater the knowledge,
the weaker the theory, heuristics coming more and more into play. there
are dialectics among reifications, objectifications, subjectivities,
reports and encapsulations, releases and experience, determinations and
faltering data, anomaly. the phenomenology of approach embeds withdrawal,
just as withdrawal implies approach. every introjection, a projection; and
every projection, an introjection.

    33	the skein (skew-orthogonal)
the grid and its imposition, input-output matrices, markov chains, tensors
and absorptions of data, local geodesics, fuzzy or clouded enumerations,
collocations of data.

    34	the skein (askew and local)
the local scribble, local geodesics without embedding, fluid-mechanical or
cellular automata modeling, closures, accumulations of data, local messes.

    35  increasing audacity and circumscription
one takes increasing chances as danger apparently recedes by virtue of
knowledge. how to approach a snake or alligator; how to ward off deerflies
and no-see-ums. an approach is always a detour (thus the sides, top and
bottom, are in evidence); the domain, no matter how problematic, is both
skein-connected (to its environs, history, etc., without and with
observation, to taxonomic schema, ideologies, cultures and civilizations,
and so forth) - and disconnected (to the extent that it is not 'its'
intention that one approaches, that one makes the approach, that it is
within one's horizon - but who knows). a detour may follow one or another
walk-around, or it maybe be a confluence/manifold of the totality of
walk-arounds - for example, the semi-totalities of gathering periphyton
data in space time through selected sites, extrapolated across the glades
in their entirety.

    36  the report
for example: the everglades as we know them are younger than writing; this
residue is older than that. the report is tailored to distribution modes,
economics, audience, historiographies, symbolic conventions, bibliography
and reference, dedication and authority, placement within or without
various series, a particular written language, attendant taxonomic ploys,
languages, and paradigms.

    37  the distribution
the distribution of the report enters the field of reports, processes of
reporting and distributing, checks and counter-checks. the report is
always already a reification by virtue of peer and other consensus; this
is the escape or leakage of the phenomenology of approach into profession,
professionalism, and doxa.

    38  the thinking of it
and the rethinking of it, the arc through and across the report, response,
distributions, counter-distributions, argument and counter-argument, the
return to the field, the walking-through the field, and always already
transformation of the domain and its problematic.

    39  the world of it
the world is all that is the case. but the world and worlding are
dissimilar and 'the' already breaks down among virtual and real, virtual
particles and introjections/projections, phantasms and implicate orders.
nothing remains of encompassment; domains dissolve or problematize, just
as the 'of it' - already a possessive - is another releasement.

    40  the knowledge, experiencing of the knowledge
what recedes, becoming, not knowledge, but implicate, implicated, tacit.
my boundaries, body, disappear, absent themselves, among the thickets.
worlding wheels on virtual axes; id and ego merge mute. what was real and
had become symbolic now recedes into the imaginary and real. skin and
masquerade become one; abjection diffuses among bodies, waters, earths,
islands, hammocks. enunciation is always a problem increasingly distant as
one silences, the report long gone, having been written, distributed,
critiqued, absorbed, discarded. those series or skeins have no place here;
evanescent, they're already exhausted by consciousness and defuge. the
leaving that is left is an accompaniment, future inhabitation of memory or
visitation, minding, mindful. no longer the distance of the approach or
proximity of withdrawal, but only translucency, transparency on rare
occasion. imagining the glades, but not without myself diffused, laminar,
here and there, the skitter.

Notes:

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Ryan Whyte wrote:

> > > These texts are impressive, and for me, strangely, there's a
> > > distorted resonance with German romantic science, of all things -- a
> > > deployment of science/knowledge to its limit, the sublime and the
> > > positioning/experience of the observer -- although certainly not the
> > > view from the mountaintop but rather the risk of drowning -- and I
> > > wonder if a phenomenology of drowning, if one can think such a
> > > thing, operates here also --
> > >
> > The risk of drowning is both metaphoric and real - there are signature
> > souvenirs from the Everglades - "I gave my blood in the Everglades" -
> > in some of my photography, I've teetered or approached
> > alligators/biting snakes/etc. at close range -
> >
> > But then drowning also connects with emergence/submergence - with
> > sublimation prior to the return of the repressed -
>
> It's interesting for the hermeneutics -- the risk of misinterpreting leads
> to real dangers, and the text follows along, or is already written across
> this structure, and the reader already reads 'into' it --

One falls into it: the text, the river, the Everglades, the alligator-maw.
It's productive, a kind of tacit/muscular intelligence at work, an
approach silencing language, in the guise of increasing (incipient)
structure. Gaining knowledge, gaining footholds, listening.

> > One of the rangers described Everglades visitors as down 30% since the
> > 70s - whereas every other park is growing fast. This is because there,
> > I think, there are no demarcations - drive around, focus on the larger
> > birds and alligators, leave. She described the park as "layered" -
> > identification in terms of the object increasingly magnifies; if we
> > had stayed, we would have gone to microscopy. There is also the
> > problematic of identity within the entanglement, which is also the
> > problematic of post-modern identities, looped, eviscerated in terms of
> > public/private, and caught in the matrices of what I called
> > "radiations" or (Cantor) dusts - computer, telephone, radio/tv
> > transmission, inter and intranettings, hackings, and so forth - not to
> > mention the problematic of _what_ is caught as such - after Lacan /
> > Foucault, we can't go back to the monolith of the unitary subject,
> > monad, etc. -
>
> You are part of the park, already; it's speaking of you....

No one speaking but myself, enunciated, as if from/of the park (as if/from
the position, say, of a woman), but it is a fictivity, an approach itself,
introjection/projection.

> It's also interesting in terms of differance; the layering will have
> 'made sense' or organized in a retrospective view of previous layers,
> scales, which have to begin, when one is in situ, between bodily
> relation, memory, and the always uncomfortable reading of the map... I
> suppose that everything is constantly misread/jury-read when one is in
> the park; on the other hand there are as you say technological
> inscriptions, resolving power of the microscope, scaling of the map....

Scales have neither beginning nor ending, pointsets and bandwidth; one
begins somewhere, after all. But the beginning is always occluded - always
this differance as you say, a deferring, not to the sign, but to its
absence - an absence spelled out only in the metapsychology of the
subject. ...

>From ryan.whyte@UTORONTO.CA Sat May 11 22:31:23 2002

-Is it reductive to say that some of the texts you've produced operate
-across these kinds of formal structures, in which reading 'for plot'
-operates across this reading of the map of topographical/topological
-shifts, as it were? The metaphor strains, but it leads to an interesting
-situation of reading, in which 'formal' difficulties in reading apply
-pressure to a kind of tacit knowledge, "silencing language" -- arguably
-the situation of every reading, but 'more so' in this case; riskier --
-...

One might have a narratology without a reading, I think; the phenomenology
of approach implies the former to the extent that there is a noticing,
tending towards the intention to investigate, or at least approach - to
reorient the mind and body towards (  ) - no matter how suffused (  ) is
or appears to be. Even walking or a walk-around is a narration.

One might consider an inordinately rough terrain - and then what happens?
One's attention is consumed with keeping one's balance - almost nothing
else is occurring, and any other goals or destinations - the teleology
itself - may be put on hold, subsumed, reduced to a (default) tag in the
subject's fuzzy scheme of things...

-Agreed -- but I wonder also if the psychoanalytic models -- projection
-etc --- might also be too reductive of what one might call the ecology of
-ideas, both in your texts and in the reading of them? As if the site were
-not that of fantasy or the ego but something that radically takes apart
-the ego, but 'speaks' nonetheless....

I don't think of the site 'taking apart' or 'speaking' - no such book of
nature, etc. It's inert, real. Projection can be a diffusion or emission;
certainly what's occurring in the phenomenology of approach is occurring
within the subject, within the horizon of the subject - elsewhere, extern-
ally, there's instrumental reason, etc. So I'm thinking of a broader meta-
psychology, one of flows/flux/spew/emission as well (my notion of 'defuge'
is related to this). As far as 'taking apart,' it's not as if the ego were
assembled. In almost everything one does, it's absent (see Drew Leder); in
a sense, neither it (nor id) nor the body are present -

[scales]

-And here the psychoanalytic -- at least the Lacanian -- is compelling --
-what is being addressed, what is addressing the subject in or in relation
-to the site (these sentences are difficult to write -- qualification on
-qualification)? The place itself fluctuates with stains, the screen....
[...]

Again, is the subject ever addressed? In the addressing of the subject,
surely it's always the subject that's addressing, at least in the receiv-
ing, if nothing else? A dead subject can never be addressed, at least in
terms of interiority and horizon. The receptor is address.

I wrote a while ago about 'sm's - using sado-masochisms as a crude model
for couplings and linkages, out of which worlding occurs. One might think
of couplings and linkages in terms of the phenomenology of approach and
the skein, embedding, distancing, etc. But that would be another text...

she speaks:

sawgrass among periphyton, periphyton among sawgrass: who can untangle?
buried in algae, across almost certain rotifera, stentor, what is
innumerable?:the land is flat, liguus fasciatus a microcosm of rings,
desiccated alligator weed, the layers crawl across tamiami, they subdue
miami, tendrils across the river, down through lejeune, among the quarried
keys :i don't know how to do this. i don't know how to say this.::

she writes:

to speak is already not to know. claws and teeth mark the boundaries of
analysis. bladderwort surrounds nano-bio organelles. nothing is
complete.:desiccation of alligator holes, everything returning, supine,
writing from a distance - violation and distantiation of inscription :i
don't know how to do this. i don't know how to say this. the flat land
with its swells, innumerable regimens of meter-high mountains, organism
crawling through this body, through this flesh, the highs gauging nothing,
a bit of movement, neural networking, a bit of stasis, world shutting-down
::

she thinks:

cormorant nothing is complete. noting is complete. on a thin notebook.
through my to speak is already not to know. claws and teeth mark the
boundaries of analysis. bladderwort surrounds nano-bio organelles. nothing
is complete and right

actant aether alterities Amidah arounds avatar avatars BBS bio biomes
bricolage bushido castrated cd cdrom CEN Centre chora clots coherencies
collocations com Compaq complicit consciousnesses consensualities cordons
cunt cunts Cybermind cyberspace cyborg d'eruza d'nala decathexis
deconstructed deconstruction deerflies defuge Derrida desiccated dhtml
diachronically diachrony diegesis diegetic differance differend
disassociating disinvestment distantiation ecologies effusions emanants
emergences empathetic empathized encapsulations entasic episteme
everglades experientials extasis extensivity extrusions familiality
fantasm fantasmic fasciatus feedforward fictivity filmmaker filmstock
fingerboard foofwa geomatics gesturally gigabytes gridlines halfgroupoid
hemiptera hirself historiographies holarchy htm html http hyperreality i'd
i'm i've ideogrammar ikonic imaginaries immersivities incompletes
indexicality informatics internet interpenetrating interpenetrations
introjections isp izanagi javascript Jen jennifer jisatsu jouissance
judgmental julu kanji Kebara kwat Lacan landbirds languaging lejeune
liguus linux literarily machinic magatama mediaspace miami microworlds
morphing morphs ms Mt multiculturalisms Myouka nakasukawabata nano Nara
neighborhooding Netscape neurophysiologies nikuko Nikuko's nostalgias NYC
oeuvre offline organelles Panamarenko panix particulation paysage peerings
periphyton perl phantasms phenomenologist pneumosphere poolings postmodern
postmodernism postmodernity primordials protolanguage qbasic realspace
rearticulation rebirths regimens reifications reinscribed reinscription
rills RNA rotifera runnels Sagdish satori sawgrass sed sememe sememes
sexualities shakuhachi shamisen shimenawa shinjuu signifiers sions
skeining skeins Snoxfly sondheim sourcess spam stentor stromatolite
subgroupoids subjectivities subtexted susan Sysadmins tamiami taxonomies
techne teleologies tendrils thanatopoesis tion tions trAce traceroute
tracert tropes typifications ulpan ums unfoldings unhinging URL URLs
vicodin videowork voiceovers VRML webboard Webpage Webpages wetware
wetwares worlding wryting www yamabushi ytalk

phenomenology of approach

this time it was the loxahatchee, jacek and i overturned the canoe on a
three-foot drop, digital nikon overboard.

( it worked for a minute for a moment.
( the card caught its dying breaths.
(  in the beginning, some lacewing eggs followed by a scale insect
(  then the clearing with paurotis, cypress, fern ( what might have been
(   ( an alligator hole ) )
(   then the clearing again
(    suddenly:
(    the switch: this was the portage route which we ignored
(    sondheim soaking, filmed with the dying camera
(     ( it seemed alive at that point, the images as usual
(     jacek by the canoe, clive and jane by the canoe
(   the next image is blurred, green, railing and water
(    the camera was dying
(    the lens, clouded, electronics shutting down
(     ( oh how i worked to retrieve the images! how many hours of
(     coaxing them from the card! )
(   following, the last retrievable series:
(    blue blurs through the ruined lens
(      sondheim in mourning and recuperation
(      the final image but one, the light
(      the final image, the car and its drowned technology

(      the madness of the image
(      the madness of the light

(      madness of the image
(      madness of the light

   the camera struggled to rise, it couldn't
   the images leaked out, the shutter button released its last
   the poor and tiny screen lights and lights,
   blind eye of the lens reaching out -
   here, look at this, but you will never own it
   those clouds, those lizard-eyes, that spider, this umbilical
   cut at last, untethered real floating off and on -
   i'm part of the blindness, i hold the camera like a baby
   the lens floats in and out, i can hear the breathing

   'the dying camera'

   you may have
   you may have the last images, they crawl, they remain
   in funeral, the card holding on, desperately
   the image, the image, the image
   silent, submerged

entanglement

deep-eco
winter-season

deeper lizards sleeping or comatose on leaves, imperial moths crossing my
nighttime trembling skin, invisible borrow pit alligator deep-runnings,
incoming ibis sky-murmuring, the drove of them, and when they darkened the
sky thus - Your alligator-flag is polluted and mutated. - You classifying
unknown territories. Your bay-heads are worlds-creating.  What image you
have of deeper lizards sleeping or comatose on leaves, imperial moths
their touch red-eye, night-time alligator deep-runnings, incoming ibis ...
Would deeper lizards sleeping or comatose on leaves, imperial moths ,
alligator flight and mating in deep-runnings, incoming ibis swarming -
contaminate you, your pond-lily crawls me across your bay-head! How would
you name your deeper strangler-fig alligator-flag? Your entanglements...
on a thin notebook - My deeper periphyton and murk is your biome here...
testings of deeper times, tilapia approach, walking the depths of the
slough calling forth grasshopper osprey, hungered, making things.  under
the coot, testings of deeper times, tilapia approach, walking the depths
of the slough is , lacewings mating - somehow to approach, partake? ...
osprey is deeper periphyton and murk on wet flesh, of osprey-lurking - Are
you satisfied with your testings of deeper times, tilapia approach,
walking the depths of the slough ? A lubber and white nightmare! Wait!
testings of deeper times, tilapia approach, walking the depths of the
slough are written and notebook thinned. testings of deeper times, tilapia
approach, walking the depths of the slough :mating lacewings - somehow to
approach, partake:deeper lizards sleeping or comatose on leaves, imperial
moths everywhere, night-time alligator deep-runnings, of incoming ibis ::
Do deeper lizards sleeping or comatose on leaves, imperial moths red-eyed
on fragile skin, night-time alligator deep-runnings, incoming ibis replace
your testings of deeper times, tilapia approach, walking the depths of the
slough ? osprey soaring, dive

entanglement
the tangles

jennifer's dream of goodness

lacewings curled around each other in the doomed thicket.
they came to me and said, there is no competition; cut the cables.
the unseemly monotony of engines formed a distant phalanx.
already live-born young were the order of the day.
eggstrands transformed into protective grills.
poison occupied the tips of incessant life.
the contribution of the viruses was immense and not to be underestimated.
a second-order phalanx formed inside the mutated grills.
microscopic domains organized against the violence of the macro-world.
lacewing circulations, viral turbulence, across the sawgrass surface.
their stems bending slightly, sawgrass forests acquiesced to the power
of the thicket.
shudders went through skins of the mammalian order.
their live-born young died quickly of unknown contusions.
the phalanxes stilled among incessant life.
lacewings curled around each other in the order of the day.

i love my machines :sawgrass slides one way, cuts another. sawgrass
inscribes itself on retinal matrices. it says 'sondheim, there is nothing
to look at.' it says, 'sondheim, you will have nothing to see.' i hide
behind tender matrices of digital format and rastered resolutions
inscribed with rectilinear coordinates. sawgrass says, 'sondheim, this is
your imaginary.' sawgrass says, 'inscribe yourself.':liguus fasciatus
verge everywhere. i live hammock-snails. immobile, untouchable, fragile,
over fifty forms. worlds-creating against polluted waters cleansed by
cattail-marsh. my machines allow me to see beneath every surface. inside
my surface i am dirty dirty dirty. i run in shame from liguus fasciatus,
hammock-snails. i do not touch them / touch myself. i pick my face to
ruin. i cannot bear my face.:i am so poor i love my machines. years ago i
built my machines. i wear machines hide my insecurity / my stupidity / my
unoriginality. i wear machines hide my weakness / my shame / my
embarrassment. my machines say 'sondheim is not a pariah.' i am run by my
machines in this direction. it is winter-season and my machines run me. my
machines take me places. they move my body. they pleasure my mind. my
machines do not say shame shame shame. my machines do not say regret every
day. my machines empty me into them. shame shame we do feel
nothing.:5.5megapixel:
2.1megapixel
3.3megapixel
1megapixel
5.5megapixel

i am so poor i love my machines. years ago i built my machines. i wear
machines hide my insecurity / my stupidity / my unoriginality. i wear
machines hide my weakness / my shame / my embarrassment. my machines say
'sondheim is not a pariah.' i am run by my machines in this direction. it
is winter-season and my machines run me. my machines take me places. they
move my body. they pleasure my mind. my machines do not say shame shame
shame. my machines do not say regret every day. my machines empty me into
them. shame shame we do feel nothing. replace your sawgrass slides one
way, cuts another. sawgrass inscribes itself on retinal matrices. it says
'sondheim, there is nothing to look at.' it says, 'sondheim, you will have
nothing to see.' i hide behind tender matrices of digital format and
rastered resolutions inscribed with rectilinear coordinates. saw grass
says, 'sondheim, this is your imaginary.' sawgrass says, 'inscribe
yourself.' red-winged-blackbird

13 lines of refuge. white lichen. refuge in resurrection fern. refuge in
everglades crayfish. refuge in limestone solution hole. refuge in
mosquito-fish. refuge in leopard frog. refuge in apple-snail. refuge in
spatterdock blossom. refuge in spatterdock fruit.:refuge in bay-head.
cocoplum thicket. nighttime great blue heron. solitary killdeer. refuge in
coot. cattail marsh. mussel. refuge in horn snail. refuge in mud-wasp.
hardwood hammock. refuge in boattail grackle. refuge in common grackle.
crow.:refuge in spatterdock. pondapple night-blooming blossoms.
spatterdock fruit. african tilapia. florida gar. desiccated periphyton.
deer spoor. alligator spoor. sawgrass. refuge in webbing. butterfly weed.
halloween pennant dragonfly. green water snake. diamondback rattler young.
::red-winged-blackbird is olympus camedia 2040 sq2 high. on wet flesh it's
red-winged-blackbird

the glades are a continuous dynamic process across a planar surface. a
park with variable boundaries, problematic topography based on hydrology
and human intervention. the dynamic is everything; think of the glades as
an _inscribed surface_ transforming in space and time - a surface organic
and shifting. the glades are simultaneous with their entanglement of life
and migration; they are vectored, and vector is everything.

geology is underfoot; to manage the glades is to manage the ecosystem.
invisible topographies / geologies manifest by surface organism. the
indefinite prolonging of comprehension.

lesser research on amphibia, arachnida. effect of mosquito population on
other species.

marsh hare
american bittern
desiccated periphyton
red-shouldered hawk
black mangrove pneumatophores in short hydroperiod brackish ponds
dwarf cypress forest
cypress dome interior
zebra longwing
prairie warbler
black-necked stilt
hardwood hammock

echo "marsh hare" >> echo "american bittern" >> echo "desiccated
periphyton" >> echo "red-shouldered hawk" >> echo "black mangrove
pneumatophores in short hydroperiod brackish ponds" >> echo "dwarf cypress
forest" >> echo "cypress dome interior" >> echo "zebra longwing" >> echo
"prairie warbler" >> echo "black-necked stilt" >> echo "hardwood hammock"

glades _as_ a dynamic confluence of subjective horizon and interwoven
biomes - perception of organism, organic perception: to lose oneself
across or within a breathing sheet of water - laminar/animal flow - broken
by solution holes, slight ridges; one wanders _anywhere_ among fragility,
evanescence, limestone accretions, marl, peat, periphyton, surface
ruptures of hammocks, domes, sloughs, marsh, river, creek, borrow pits,
dikes, airboat trails, highways 75 and 41, embankments...

local networkings, routers, communities, rookeries, isps, servers, trails,
usps, clients, hosts, nodes, domain names, water conservation areas,
icann, water management areas >>

monotone of slow breath, particulate grasping: _the prehensile_

withdrawal from alligator radius

(nikuko wants to go home. jennifer wants to go in.)

=====

scalding water stops the pain for a moment; the hammocks carry blood-lust
in their very atmosphere; thickets are swarms; in dwarf cypress forest or
coastal prairie, one is accompanied by horse-flies, biting midges, wasps,
larger insects from a distance; chills and fevers wake one in night's
thick entanglement; one's body is a mess, suppurating, gouged and gnawed,
split, half-devoured.:deer-flies stinging constantly, the mosquito gouge,
sand midge extract. points of the body, usually ignored as implicit
hinging - elbow, ankle, knuckle - sudden areas of intense pain or scab, as
blood flies near the surface, bone heats up, the insect settles for the
final score. chills and fevers, slight numbing of the body, general
weakness.: :the arms first, then the fevers, the tingling, desire to gnaw
at one's flesh, lacerate onself, cut off the offending bit of flesh or
limb. it makes no difference - one dreams of alligator biting through the
fingers, itch giving way to momentary pain.:knees and shoulders:neck and
fingers

torn skin, flaked, oozed; dried blood on arm, hand, neck, wrist
ficus and spoonbillng as a model an open
nightmare!t. Somelat
larger insects from a distance; chills and fevers wake me in night's
entanglemennternet text at
= > maintain