Dave/Ross on Thu, 2 May 2002 12:57:02 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Adelaide rally & security

Dear friends and supporters,

If you are coming to the rally in front of Parliament House on
Friday, can you consider bringing some balloons, and/or flowers to be
presented to the Premier.  We have invited both Mike Rann and
Stephanie Keys to attend, although at such late notice we may have to
settle for a representative from one or both.  Nevertheless, we have
had some assurances that the media will be there, and we will try to
use this occasion to draw further attention to the situation which
exists at Woomera.

Many thanks to those who have written to encourage us in our work.
Quite a few people have written to report that they believe their
email and phones have been tampered with.  However, we all need to be
careful about the flak we will receive if we make claims that cannot
be substantiated.  I contacted my service provider, for example, and
he denies having been coached by anyone else to send out a letter
asking me where I had obtained names for my mailing list.  He did,
however, admit that he has been approached by police in the past for
information on subscribers to his internet service.

We have also received information from legal sources that say our
allegations are probably true, but that there may be nothing illegal
about the Commonwealth Government either tapping a phone or
intercepting email "in the interest of national security".  Howard's
repeated reference to protecting our "borders" is an attempt to make
anything relating to refugees a matter of "national security".

Several people have reported that their mail to us is being blocked.
There may be simple explanations for that.  (Although I don't have
them just yet.)  Just keep trying, because some mail is getting
through, although sometimes it is delayed for a few hours... and even
that may have a simple explanation.  Most of us have probably had
strange things happen to our email and have heard strange sounds on
our phones from time to time.  It doesn't always mean that Big
Brother is listening in.  So let's not panic.

Obviously, the so-called "anti-terrorist" legislation entitling the
Government to arrest people "incommunicado" if the Government has
reason to believe that they are a threat to national security is not
being rushed through as a purely academic exercise.  John Howard
wants it so that he can use it.  Simple as that.  But, without
panicking, we must seek to utilise every form of communication that
we can while we can.

In peace,

Dave McKay (and Ross Parry)
Refugee Embassy