Joseph Franklyn McElroy Cor[porat]e [Per]form[ance] Art[ist] on Thu, 2 May 2002 23:12:27 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: RHIZOME_RAW: GENERATION FLASH: Usability/Interaction

The forces of nature, market, whatever you want to call it will determine
the outcome of this debate.

The vast majority of people are not original with regard to the creation
of knowledge, thus they will express themselves within models that have
proven successful for others in the past.

Success will be defined by most name recognition (either common or
critical)  and/or reputation of financial well being.  Such success will
require accessability by a sufficient audience to create a critical mass.

If you wish to create with limited accessability, you need the few who
access it to be of extreme importance and power within the limited sphere
you wish to be defined successful.  These important few will probably
dictate more stringently than any mass consumer base would ever acheive.

It is your pick of poison, if you are of a negative bent of mind, you
might describe it as choosing which ass to kiss.

When bemoaning the lack in a common public, I am reminded of statements by
elite public personnas. Recent example, Bloomberg, when queried about
placement of garbage incinerators in poor neighborhoods, described the
inhabitants as "people who have just started the economic climb up the
ladder"  As if they would reach the first rung.

Perhaps we should be aware when we defend inaccessability in art, the "I
don't care" attitude, of how much we resemble Bloomberg and his
description of poor people.

--
Joseph Franklyn McElroy
Cor[porat]e [Per]form[ance] Art[ist]
Take the Survey everyone is talking about...
http://www.electrichands.com/genius2000
Electric Hands, Inc
www.electrichands.com
212-255-4527