nettime's_short_fuse on Sun, 21 Apr 2002 12:19:29 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> flash in the pan digest [mcgregor, proculus, hwang x 2]

Zak McGregor <zak@mighty.co.za>
     Generation Flash
"porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>
     Re: <nettime> RE: RHIZOME_RAW: GENERATION FLASH  (2 / 3)
Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>
     Flash
Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>
     Flash

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:36:14 +0200
From: Zak McGregor <zak@mighty.co.za>
Subject: Generation Flash

Eric

The Flash spec is *not* open - the direction it takes is controlled
solely by Macromedia corp. They may well release the details, but
ultimately they retain complete and utter control. By Contrast, the
specifications for the infrastructure of the web and indeed even the
non-http parts of the internet are not only released to the public, but
are created and controlled by groups of people from the community at
large. Coupled wih Macromedia's thinly-veiled wishes to supplant the
"flawed" HTML model with Flash MX it is a very ugly situation. I think a
comment on Slashdot some weeks ago summed it up perfectly:"1996 called.
Microsoft wants their strategy back".

Make no mistake - the return to legacy applications on a massive scale
will have severe impact on the whole ecology of the internet.

Ciao

Zak

--
Zak McGregor        http://www.carfolio.com - Over 8500 car specs online