6 digit on Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:09:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> thumbs (as though there weren't more serious things...)

Well, there _is_ a point in discussing this, and, no Mark, I
don't think we should simply sink back into the defeatist all-
money-is-rotten argument. There is no human activity - and,
strange as it seems, this includes research - which is not
biased, mediated or compromised in one way or another. True.
But for me the real issue in these situations is not so much
who's financing the research effort, but how is this conflict
resolved in the research work itself. I insist - it _is_ a
conflict, and resolving it, attempting to generate a
discourse which will play out against the institutional
assimilation, is what the intellectuals' work is all about.
This includes Sadie's research into mobile communications
funded by Motorola, as it does your writing in the Village
Voice, and, by the way, it also includes the private and
public funding which helps Coco Fusco's artistic career to
develop too.

There are no prescriptions for this - which brings to my mind
the idea that the way to proceed, in this realm of an
intellectual intervention in the institutional field, falls
into the sphere of tactical work.

On the other hand, all this will be over once I finish
developing my latest project - Beat the System!
Fotosynthesize!