nettime's_methodological_referee on Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:11:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> brownogram/airogram: it just gets worse (x4)

From: "Lachlan Brown" <lachlan@london.com>
     It just gets worse....AIR-L
     AIR-L discusses Lachlan and then divides up his work between members.
     Re: St Columba...
     AoIR List - Trojan Horse time.

From: "Lachlan Brown" <lachlan@london.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:42:49 -0500
Subject: It just gets worse....AIR-L

The AIR List, an association of intenret scholars is having a little discussion
about the murder of Lachlan Brown
for asking too many questions and trying
to make people think. They branded him
a Troll, A Witch, and then manufactured a
'sexist' accusation through an alias called 'Susan', and then unsubscribed him.

I wonder, is there anyone from the Department
of Media and Communications at Goldsmiths College from Spring 1998 in Nettime. Dejavu?

Lachlan

Air-l] Lachlan Brown
Blanchard, Anita L air-l@aoir.org
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:30:24 -0500

A note about the word troll:

A "troll" is a term used by virtual community users to describe someone who
comes into a group and tries to stir things up by posting outrageous
comments  about the topic of the group, attacking group members and thus
becoming the object of ire by the group.  I learned of this term from
interviewing participants of an athletic newsgroup/virtual community.  They
had several trolls (really and truly called trolls) who would post comments
such as "women should not compete in sports"--clearly a comment made to draw
attention, albeit negative. from the group.

I am not sorry that our first troll is gone.  I don't mind moderation:  on
ISWorld we recieve messages a few times a day as the moderators read and
approve them.  I like knowing that i'm now in "ISWorld mode" and will
receive their emails.  Of course, I am not a very active poster, and others
may have different views about the moderation thing.

I do think the whole idea of "trolling" is fascinating.  Why do they do what
they do?  Why go into a group to rile folks up?!  Although I could not
interview my research group's troll (I asked, he would not firmly committ [she didn't]),
I have talked with someone I know FtF about why he trolled a christian
newsgroup: he said he thought he was doing the group a favor by making them
think.  I think there's quite  a bit more to it than that.

Anybody interested in a troll study?!?!

Anita

Anita Blanchard, Ph.D.
Dept of Psychology