the thing newsletter on Sat, 9 Mar 2002 18:31:57 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> thing.news _march 2002

thing.news contents

1_thing.review
2_thing.threads
3_thing.art
4_thing.rumors
5_thing.complaints
6_thing.recommends
7_thing.politics
8_thing.future

1_thing.review

Loop - PS1 Contemporary Art Center
by Brian Boucher - 02/22/2002

She: "Did you ever get déjà vu?"
He: "Didn't you just ask me that?"

In Harold Ramis' 1993 film Groundhog Day, Bill Murray
plays a small-time  weatherman with big dreams and
a big chip on his shoulder who awakens each day to
find himself stuck in small-town western Pennsylvania
on Groundhog Day--a nightmare playing itself out
again and again. Testifying to the film's success, its
title has become a sort of shorthand for references to
eternal repetition-- Bill Murray as the modern  Sisyphus.
Murray's character, though, finds he can take advantage
of the situation by correcting his mistakes, improving
his performance each day, gradually growing enough
so that he is released from the loop.

Like Murray's character, Klaus Biesenbach, PS1's
Chief Curator, has found a way to make eternal
repetition productive, varied, edifying, and in no
way boring. The loop is everywhere today, the
exhibition didactics suggested, along with the
radically different conceptions of time and progress
to which it gives rise. The loop appears in minimalist
and electronic music in the form of looped samples;
Biesenbach further suggests that constant media
repetition as well as science's modification of aging
and the mapping of the gene are part of the same
broad phenomenon. Opening in Germany during
the second week of September, when the media
was endlessly repeating horrific images of destruction,
an exhibition based in compulsive repetition had a
particular currency.
http://bbs.thing.net [review]

2_thing.thread

[new_thing.thread ::undercurrents::]
A forum about the interrelations of cyberfeminism, new technologies
and globalization. Moderators: Irina Aristahrkova, Maria Fernandez,
Coco Fusco and Faith Wilding.

"I think you also do understand that no one here is trying to suggest
that we should not acknowledge the importance of code to computerized
culture, or that we should lapse into technophobia. The points that
some,
including myself are trying to make have to do with technocentrism,
technodeterminism and technoformalism.

By this I mean that alt.net culture on lists like nettime has defined
its agenda as technocentric  - open source code,  ownership of domain
names, on-line surveillance and so on. The battle for free expression
is thus equated with a struggle against state and corporate control
of the internet and software, and with the maintenance of the non-profit
organizations that sustain the protagonists of these struggles. It
creates
a sense of alt.net culture as a dispersed tribe of freedom fighters
pitted
against big bad government and Microsoft which is quite romantic and
heroic but not exactly accurate.

There are good reasons to be engaged with these issues, but there
are even better reasons to question why they are the ONLY ones that
are allowed to come to the surface in debate after debate, and to
reflect on how the framing of these issues presupposes that the
digital commons is beyond race."

_from a recent posting on ::undercurrents::
http://bbs.thing.net [threads]

3_thing.art

SERVICE2000_7/29  by Nick Crowe was originally shown during
June and July 2000 and consisted of 29 web sites built for a range
of commercial and publicly funded London galleries. The work
originated from a chance discovery that many galleries had
either failed to register their own domain names, or had only
registered on a single variant on their name - leaving a stock
of other usable names readily available. What ensued was
a brief period of not-for-profit cybersquatting during which
times the SERVICE2000 sites functioned as the unofficial
web presence of the London art world.

http://galleries.thing.net/uk/s2k

4_thing.rumors

An exhibition at the Whitney Independent Study Program bringing
together artists working on the politics of  globalization. Thus far
works by Martha Rosler, Fatimah Tuggar, Alex Rivera, Wolfgang Staehle,
Allan Sekula among others are under consideration. The show will
take place at the CUNY Graduate Center.

The [Next 5 Minutes 4] will not only take place in Amsterdam - but,
become a distributed event across the globe. They are looking at
host sites in North and South America, India and in the Middle East.
http://www.n4m.org

5_thing.complaints

Dear All,

This is a little note to update our friends and colleagues about our
recent happenings.

Yesterday in a Zurich court etoy withdrew the complaint that demanded
a  preliminary injunction against the publication of our book 'Leaving
Reality Behind: Inside the Battle for the soul of the Internet' which is
due
to published in the UK in May 2002. To us this litigation seemed absurd
as  etoy were once the defenders of freedom of expression and were now
trying to gag us, the authors of a book which included their story and
would take it to a wider audience.

etoy had filed their complaint on January 16th claiming that the parts
of the manuscript that etoy had read were full of 'massive defamations'
against the etoy.VENTURE association and its members Zai, Gramazio
and Kubli. They claimed that we had described etoy as a 'dark-ideas-
embracing-sect' which deliberately uses allusions to Hitler. They even
went so far as to pretend that we had made etoy out to be 'a poor
imitation
of a Taliban in Europe' by ascribing to the group elements such as
'totalitarian power', 'oppression of divergent behaviour', 'uniforms'
and
'exclusion of joy of life, such as joy, sex etc.' Huh? At times the
complaint verged on the comic as when etoy compared their fame
amongst the Internet generation to that of the Beatles.

For us the complaint was astonishing because etoy initially supported
the project and had taken a substantial amount of money for interviews,
access to their archive and rights to use their images. In the final
stages
of the book production they had failed to send us in a timely manner
written comments about the manuscript in a process we had previously
agreed upon, they had not attended a meeting that we had invited them
to with our publisher, and Douglas Rushkoff one of their one-time
supporters had described our depiction of them as 'fair'.

Instead of an informal process we (and they) were forced to spend
tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and the costs of the court.
Through the nine hour court hearing etoy took it all very seriously.
This
performance seemed to have no artistic intention, and lacked the irony
and wit of some of their previous interventions. As an etoy shareholder
and former member of the group Esposto who had come along to
support us said: 'It seems like a waste of shareholder's money.' In
the end they withdrew their complaint because it was obviously futile
to go on. For us it seemed  like a miserable coda to what had been
at times a brilliant and insightful art project.

Thanks for your continuous support

Adam Wishart and Regula Bochsler [not from etoy.com]

http://www.etoy.com

6_thing.recommends

After two critically acclaimed NY performances, e-Xplo
returns to the streets of the city with their latest bus project,
Picnolepsy:

Picnolepsy. (noun. from the Greek, picnos: frequent).
For the picnoleptic, nothing has happened, the missing
time never existed.

Erin McGonigle and Heimo Lattner in collaboration with Rene
Gabri will perform electroacoustic music live on a bus situating
Manhattan as the backdrop for an investigation using attenuated
adaptations of sound and text.

This tour will be one weekend only. So book early!
e-Xplo invites you to what should be an unforgettable tour of
the city.

Dates: Friday March 22nd, and Saturday 23rd
Time: Friday and Saturday 7:30 PM and 9:30 PM
Location: 16 Beaver Street, NY NY 10004
Ticket Prices General Tickets 20$ / Reduced 15$
Phone RSVP 866.248.7671 xt. 8114
http://www.e-Xplo.org

"I just wanted to use the Whitney Biennial as a free advertisement."
_Miltos Manetas

WhitneyBiennial.com is online now!
The site contains 120 digital art works from 80 contributors.
http://WhitneyBiennial.com

7_thing.politics

John Perry Barlow, Paul Garrin and Christine Wang
talk about ICANN (a/k/a the WTO of the Internet)
and ICANN's plan to disenfranchise the public from
the governance of the Internet. Barlow, Garrin, and
Wang speak out in support of reclaiming public
space on the  Internet and what we all can do to
assure democracy, free speech and open
access to the digital media.
http://FreeTheMedia.org/radio

8_thing.future

Prevent Nanotech-based Terrorism

In one of his weekly columns on technology and public
policy for _Tech Central Station_, University of Tennessee
law professor and Foresight.org Director Glenn Reynolds
stated that 2001 "was the year that people started  to get
serious about the promises and dangers of nanotechnology".
And he concludes: "Where this powerful technology is
concerned, a nanogram of prevention is worth a kilogram
of cure. Let's start thinking about  nanoterrorism now, while
we have the luxury of time. It's a luxury that won't last forever."
http://nanodot.org/article.pl?sid=02/01/02/1654253
But then, why would anybody want to do that?