Announcer on Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:31:50 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Announcements 020203b [x6]

Table of Contents:

Scott deLahunta <sdela@ahk.nl>
   Announcing The Net.Wurk Series::_][ad][Dressed in a Skin C.ode_ <...>
"][motion capt.[ure]][" <netwurker@hotkey.net.au>
   MAKROLAB 2002 CALLS FOR PROPOSALS
marko peljhan <marxx@mail.ljudmila.org>
   [transmediale] Global Public: Al Jazeera Vertreter bei der transmediale.02
"transmediale" <info@transmediale.de>
   Job Vacancies
"Lachlan Brown" <lachlan@london.com>
   Free Radio Linux - audio distribition of Linux - launching 03.02.02
r a d i o q u a l i a <honor@va.com.au>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:30:03 -0500
From: Scott deLahunta <sdela@ahk.nl>
Subject: rhein.tanzmedia.web // statement of the jury

rhein.tanzmedia.web // statement of the jury

We would like to thank the artists for participating in the first
rhein.tanzmedia.web (http://www.rheintanzmedia.net/) international
competition for net/ dance/ performance. The entries were extraordinarily
diverse in the ways in which they proposed to explore the relationship
between dance and the internet or related online communication systems.
This has made the experience of selecting amongst them a difficult as well
as fascinating one, and the decisions we have made after one and half days
of deliberation reflect this variety.

The Jury awarded 3 prizes: the rhein.tanzmedia.net-Prize for production and
presentation of the project, the Förderpreis der rhein land ag and a
special research award of the jury. For the rhein.tanzmedia.net-Prize, we
have selected the proposal of media artist Rebecca Allen with
choreographers/ performers Hannah Sim and Mark Steger of the performance
group Osseus Labyrint. This project will comprise an interactive media art
installation linked to a live performance in another location with a
simultaneous presentation via the web. There were several entries proposing
to work with similar ideas, but in our opinion the collaboration of Rebecca
Allen and Osseus Labyrint put forward the strongest integration of the raw
corporeality of live performance with remote and mediated presences in
which the shifting definition of audience, viewer and/ or participant is
explored.

For the Förderpreis der rhein land ag, we have selected the proposal of
choreographer/ researcher Ivar Hagendoorn entitled "The Fisher Account" in
which the financial data that is moving continuously across the Internet is
dynamically linked to a database of pre-recorded movement and movement
sequences. Appropriating different forms of streaming data found on the
internet to manipulate digital materials resident on a server's hard drive
is a formal strategy explored by net and media artists for some time now.
However, to our knowledge the connection between dance composition and
choreographic ideas and what is essentially the live (electronic) presence
of the internet had not been explicitly made. To choose to do this using
the flowing pattern of bits from something as rich in significance as the
world's financial markets presents a unique set of possibilities, and we
look forward to seeing the realisation of this project on the web.

Although these two projects will be produced by the organisers of the
competition (with a total amount of approx. 90.000,- Euro), the
rhein.tanzmedia.web prize was intended to be a "competition of ideas"
rather than finished productions. There were a number of interesting
proposals from young artists that we felt could be more fruitfully explored
in the context of 'research' without the expectation of final production or
presentation.

Therefore the Jury argued for and was given the opportunity to confer upon
Stephanie Thiersch and Micha Purucker a special award for continuing their
research into "the possibilities of representations of kinaesthetic and
sensuous experiences without their actual presence". This special award of
the jury has a purse of 5000,- Euro.
The jury would like to thank the organisers of the competition for their
hard work and vision in setting up this opportunity to further the
inter-disciplinary explorations within the field of dance overlapping with
emerging technologies. We look forward to seeing the outcomes of the three
projects selected for the support provided by the competition.

Prof. Dr. Marie-Luise Angerer (Kunsthochschule für Medien, Köln)
Scott deLahunta (Dartington College of Arts, UK)
François Raffinot (IRCAM/Département Chorégraphique, Paris)
Gerfried Stocker (ars electronica, Linz)

Bonn, January 20, 2002