US Department of Art & Technology on Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:57:48 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Delegates to Sign Berlin Virtualization Charter

US Department of Art & Technology
PO Box 32265 Washington, DC 20007
http://www.usdept-arttech.net
press@usdept-arttech.net

Press Secretary
For Immediate Release:  January 28, 2002

Global Virtualization Council Delegates to
Sign and Ratify International Charter at Transmediale 02

WASHINGTON, DC - On Tuesday, February 5, 8:30 PM (GMT+0100), Global
Virtualization Council delegates are expected to sign and ratify the
official "Berlin Virtualization Charter" at the opening of the
Transmediale 02 International Festival of Media in Berlin  The
Council is directed towards the mobilization and coordination of
artistic forces of virtualization internationally. Present at the
signing will be the Secretary of the US Department of Art &
Technology, Randall M. Packer; Festival Director, Andreas Broeckmann;
and Council Delegates who include the Secretary-General and
Artist-Ambassadors representing 9 nations.

Preparations for the Charter, to be signed at the opening of
Transmediale, are now under way for this historic event that will
potentially establish conditions under which the most far-flung
aspirations of humankind are ignited. In light of the Festival theme,
go public!, government officials and leading media artists from
around the world will gather in Berlin under the auspices of
Transmediale to endorse a global initiative that promotes radical
aesthetic ideology in the larger political and social context.

As mandated by the Global Virtualization Council, the Charter aims to
promote: (a) international standards for socially-engaged
interactivity and collective action; (b) movements of international
activist, hyper-mediated, utopian, and related ideologies; (c)
universal respect for, and observance of, artist rights and
fundamental creative expression for all citizens without distinction
as to discipline, medium, gender, bias, or identity. [extracted from
sub-paragraphs a,b, and c of Article 9]

The accord establishes a promising roadmap as it provides for the
employment of media for the purpose of reaffirming our faith in the
suspension of disbelief, as well as the advancement of all artists
towards their desire to initiate social action. The Secretary of the
US Department of Art & Technology has stated repeatedly that "to
succeed in the 21st Century, we must be prepared to adapt to changes
in our social condition - in how we communicate, where we seek
cultural enrichment, and how we balance our real and virtual lives."

The Secretary considers that only negotiated and verifiable accords
between media artists and government can adequately address the
social and political impact of our increasingly cybernated world.
Accordingly, the Charter states, "through representatives assembled
in the city of Berlin, who have exhibited their full recognition of
the power of the artist engaged with media... hereby establish an
international movement of the avant-garde to be known as the Global
Virtualization Council."

For further information, visit the following URLs:

US Department of Art & Technology:  http://www.usdept-arttech.net
Global Virtualization Council and Charter: http://www.usdept-arttech.net/gvc
Transmediale 02: http://www.transmediale.de

Contact: Press Secretary of the US Department of Art & Technology
press@usdept-arttech.net

##

01-094