Doug Henwood on Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:58:53 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> dollars & donuts

Michael Linton wrote:

>The money illusion.  Perhaps if you specify just what you consider that to be
>we can discover whether "LETS people" are so elevated.  Please define,

This is a naivete affected for rhetorical purposes, right? Surely
someone promoting a scheme for monetary reform would be familiar with
the term. On the off chance the question is serious, the money
illusion is a term in economics, coined I believe by Irving Fisher,
describing the alleged propensity to mistake a nominal change for a
real one. Say if inflation is running at 5%, and you get a 5% raise,
your real wage increase is 0%, but it may still feel like a gain,
just because there are bigger numbers printed on your paycheck.

Of course I was using it figuratively - that by changing the form of
money you're somehow changing underlying social relations. Reminds me
of a roommate I had in college, who'd heard that if you were healthy,
your urine was mildly acidic, so he drank vinegar. Too bad he had a
distressing habit of leaving used litmus paper strips around the
bathroom.

Doug