Pieter on Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:57:42 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> No longer in the Wilderness

As I wrote to a friend regarding a similar report, "US planned war in
Afghanistan long before September 11", by Patrick Martin, 20 November
2001, http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/nov2001/afgh-n20.shtml :

>Some interesting and heavy shit, mate. One hears more and more along
>these lines, of course. Another example is an older article,
> http://www.narconews.com/goff1.html ,
>"The So-Called Evidence Is a Farce" by self-professed former Special
>Forces member Stan Goff.

>The question arises, however: if the US were so intent for so many years
>on exploiting Afghani/Central Asian resources, then what of the
>much-repeated accusation that they left the Afghans to rot after the
>Soviets pulled out in the late '80s? Wouldn't it have been more logical
>for them to move right ahead with their oil schemes?

>One obvious answer might be that the State, other than its Spectacular
>self-image, is not all the Moloch it's cracked up to be, but is actually
>made up of a myriad of institutions and individuals who do not
>necessarily work together or are even aware of one another, of course. So
>eerily like society shall we say.

>Still, it's enough to make one wonder.

Best,

PB