bob whale on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:45:00 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> rhizomatic arboreal contract

Trouble with the passage below (from Rhizome) implies
a different kind of tactic.
At this point they're (Rhizome) only collecting
artwork guaranteing themselves full right to their
reproduction. As their database and 'community' grow
stronger they will have enough thrust to open up a
knowledge resource much like that found at Oxford.com,
where you have to pay for a good reference. I find it
rather dishartening that Rhizome believes in defence
of their position, where we clearly have witnessed
positioning for power from other organizations before,
namely W3C and the attempt on web standard patenets.

> We may someday find a way to generate revenue from the
> content we've been gathering. If so, we would be bound by law, and by
> our own convictions, to use that revenue to further our nonprofit
> mission, which is to provide an online platform for the global new
> media art community and to foster the creation, presentation,
> discussion and preservation of new media art.

this is obviously the case, in the here and now.  it becomes more tricky
in say, 100 years, when we are all dead and gone and jah only knows
who's at the helm of rhizome.  but then we are all dead and gone so who
cares anyway.  doubtless there will be many other less ethical
"organizations" profiting on the work of dead net art artists.  or is
that just wishful thinking?

--- nettime's_keyboard_potato <nettime@bbs.thing.net>
wrote:
> Re: <nettime> Re: Rhizome.org Member Agreement
>      Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
>      John Klima <klima@echonyc.com>

> - - - - - - - -
> - - - - - - - -
>
> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:44:28 -0500
> From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
> Subject: Re: <nettime> Re: Rhizome.org Member
> Agreement
>
> Mark,
> Thanks for your note. I hardly mean to pick on
> Rhizome.org -- as
> a photographer and writer, I appreciate what you're
> doing, and believe
> the world is a better place because of your efforts.
 <...>