wade tillett on Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:21:25 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> national security digest [strauss, kaminski, graham]

> From: Peter Kaminski <kaminski@istori.com>

> CAPS chooses passengers for additional screening based on screening
> factors *or* at random, with the intent of providing additional
> deterrence and fairness to the system.

Not quite sure how random screenings adds fairness to the system.
Could you explain?

As it seems to me that random screenings would only serve to shroud
the list of those chosen for screening. That is, the very purpose of
providing random screenings would only be to conceal the actual
discrimination utilized in choosing individuals for screening. An
intentional blurring of the actual factors, in order to protect one
from accusations of profiling, etc. by always being able to fall back
on the 'random' explanation.

Any idea what percentage of the screenings that occur are results of
this random choice?