ANASTASIOS KOZAITIS on Mon, 8 Oct 2001 05:38:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Anthrax

Two articles about anthrax today. Having heard a bit about how anthrax is
contracted, I worried a bit but not too much about the article from the
Telegraph, which states that one of the world's largest anthrax dumps is
located 600 miles north of Afghanistan. The procurement of the anthrax
would require a good deal of technology, money and equipment to dig up the
10-year-old Renaissance Island dump. But upon reading the NY Times article
on the man who died on Friday from pulmonary anthrax, I am much more
concerned now. The Times article states that in order to contract pulmonary
anthrax, one has to inhale 8,000 to 10,000 spores in a place where the
anthrax would get no sunlight, meaning a bone meal plant or what have you.
Bone meal is used as a fertilizer. I may be jumping ahead of myself but do
not crop dusters fertilize crops? Later in the Times article, there is a
story about anthrax having been spread in Australia after infected cattle
carcasses that had been buried 140 prior were disturbed.--Ak

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/04/wanth04.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/10/04/ixhome.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/06/health/06ANTH.html?searchpv=nytToday