Miles Nordin on Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:06:04 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Afghan women

begin  David Goldschmidt quotation.
> activists . . . continue to criticize the policies of America
  [...]
> "do these americans even realize how good they have it?"

I don't believe that people criticizing policies are very often doing
so because they want to have ``it'' better.  Complaining about how
American policies cause unpleasantness for people elsewhere in the world
seems to me totally consistent with an awareness of ``how good we have
it.''

Your admonishment seems to imply, ``people who have things so good have
no cause to complain,'' which is exactly the sort of selfishness that
many complainers find reprehensible.  What you say makes sense at first.
I often hear people say it.  But this moment-of-thanksgiving you are
suggesting to us is totally upside-down.  It is not right to turn
activism into some kind of aristocratic indulgence for which we should
all feel rich-white-man's-guilt.