Steve Cisler on Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:52:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Richard Stallman: Thousands dead, millions deprived of civil liberties?

I would be interested to hear opinions from nettimers who are not
Americans about how they perceive our level of security was up until
September 11. When you were in the states did you feel things were
lax, oppressive, or about the same as your home country?

Is Stallman's plea the voice of someone out of touch with the rest of
the world or is he justified in his worries (or both)?

No matter what you think about the past week's events, it is evident
we in the U.S.  are getting at least two messages from our government:
"let's get the U.S. back to normal" and "get ready for big changes
(war, with attendant losses; higher prices; longer lines; and the
effects of more vigilance/suspicion; massive expenditures for home
defense and retaliatory measures)" .

Steve Cisler