Pit Schultz on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:51:59 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> forwards x2: barlow, salloum

     [digested @ nettime]

Pit Schultz <pit@klubradio.de>
     Barlow's letter
JSalloum@aol.com (by way of Pit Schultz <pit@klubradio.de>)
     the war comes home..

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:45:33 +0200
From: Pit Schultz <pit@klubradio.de>
Subject: Barlow's letter

from: Olompali4 (olompali4@aol.com)
subject: Clear Head~Barlow
newsgroups: rec.music.gdead
date: 2001-09-13 10:12:01 PST
Here are some words from John Barlow (Dead song writer and Electronic Freedom
Foundation):

*DO* WORRY ABOUT US. AND, MORE TO THE POINT, U.S.

As most of you know, I believe that the United States has gradually,
subtly, invisibly to most of us, become a police state over the last
30 years.

This morning's events are roughly equivalent to the Reichstag fire
that provided the social opportunity for the Nazi take-over of
Germany.

I am *not* suggesting that, like the Nazis, the authoritarian forces
in America actually had a direct role in perpetrating this
mind-blistering tragedy. (Though their indirect role deserves a much
longer discussion.)

Nevertheless, nothing could serve those who believe that American
"safety" is more important than American liberty better than
something like this. Control freaks will dine on this day for the
rest of our lives.

Within a few hours, we will see beginning the most vigorous efforts
to end what remains of freedom in America. Those of who are willing
to sacrifice a little - largely illusory - safety in order to
maintain our faith in the original ideals of America will have to
fight for those ideals just as vigorously.

I beg you to begin NOW to do whatever you can - whether writing your
public officials, joining the ACLU or EFF, taking to the streets, or
living visibly free and fearless lives - to prevent the spasm of
control mania from destroying the dreams that far more have died for
over the last two hundred twenty five years than died this morning.

Don't let the terrorists or (their natural allies) the fascists win.

Remember that the goal of terrorism is to create increasingly
paralytic totalitarianism in the government it attacks. Don't give
them the satisfaction.

Fear nothing. Live free.

And, please, let us try to forgive those who have committed these
appalling crimes. If we hate them, we will become them.

May God - or Whatever you want to call It - bless us all. We'll need
it.

Barlow