ben moretti on Mon, 3 Sep 2001 07:41:37 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> [ensemble-talk] Tampa letter

     [orig To: "v-i-s-a-s" <ensemble-talk@lists.va.com.au>]

Was in the Federal Court today and got a copy of the
letter that was written by those aboard the Tampa.

=======================================

To the Australian government, human rights
organisations and Australian ladies and gentlemen,
We hope you accept regards and warm feelings of the
miserable and oppressed Afghan refugees turning around
Christmas island in the middle of sea, while having no
shelter, clothes to change after ten days and even
toilet and bathrooms.
Respected Australian government and gentlemen and
ladies!
You know well about the long time war and its tragidic
[sic] human consequences, and you know about the
genocide and massacres going on in our country and
thousands of men, women and children were pit in
public grieveyards [sic], and we hope you understand
that keeping in view all aforementioned reasons we
have no way but to run out of our dear homeland and to
seek a peaceful asylum. And until now so many
miserable refugees have been seeking asylum in so many
countries. In this regards before this Australia has
taken some real appreciatiable [sic] initiatives and
has given asylum to a high number of refugees from our
miserable people. That is why we are whole-heartedly
and sincerely thankful to you.
We hope you do not forget that we are also from the
same miserable and oppressed refugees and now turning
around Christmas island inside Australian boundaries
waiting “permit” to inter [sic] your country.
But your delay while we are in the worst conditions
has hurt our feelings. We do not know why we have not
been regarded as refugee and deprived from rights or
refugees according to international convention (1951).
We request from Australian authorities and people, at
first not to deprive us from the right that all
refugees enjoy in your country. And in the case of
rejection due to not having anywhere to live o the
earth and every moment death is threatening us. We
request you to have mercy for the life of (438) men,
women and children.
Yours sincerely,
Afghan refugees
Now off the coast of Christmas Island
30/8/2001

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
- Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!

-  - - - - -- - -- - - -- - - - - ----- ---- - - - - - ---- - -- - - - -- -
*this list is currently dedicated to v-i-s-a-s: Volunteers In Support of
Asylum Seekers
*v-i-s-a-s web: http://ensemble.va.com.au/visas
*to submit material for the v-i-s-a-s site please email Teri: ti@va.com.au
or Ben bmoretti@chariot.net.au
*eWRe will host the list until 0ctober 31st 2001
*you are currently subscribed to ensemble-talk as: [bmoretti@chariot.net.au]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
leave-ensemble-talk-1898G@lists.va.com.au
*ensemble-talk is the list of the electronic Writing Research ensemble
http://ensemble.va.com.au