nettime's_licensee on Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:19:34 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> a musical tribute digest v.2 [recktenwald x3, cramer, tallmo]

Re: <nettime> Why artists should be using Ogg Vorbis (instead of mp3)
     Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
     Florian Cramer <paragram@gmx.net>
     Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
     Karl-Erik Tallmo <tallmo@nisus.se>

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:27:10 +0200 (CEST)
From: Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Why artists should be using Ogg Vorbis (instead of mp3)

> Imagine, E-Mail wouldn't be an open standard, but a patented technology
> for which the rights owner charges everyone who programs or distributes
> an E-Mail server program (like sendmail) and everyone who uses E-Mail
> for commercial/professional purposes (like journalists sending their
> manuscripts to newspapers).

Yeah, this is my point. They are bluffing.

They "own" the technology but only when it comes to selling programms.

The idea of "ownership over a whole technology" is nice, but not real.

Wouldnt take them to serious. And you could also argue, that they
are estopped from claims against blade etc after they released sources.

Bluff, bluff, bluff, same story like etoy and etoys or Leonardo.

However it is in detail, encoders are not content. Reminds of
Microsofts whining over "illegal DivX movies"...The movies may be made
with an illegal programm but they are perfectly legal.

Well, the internet is something like 7 years old, mp3 is maybe 5 years
in general use. We could change codecs with a mouseclick. But all the
music that is allready encoded...

But maybe I am biased with my intra.b.lab.net/~uzs106 thing.

And anyway, it is good to know that there are alternatives.
Like Batamax ;-)

Does the OGG Vobis player display mp3 too ? Does it display m3u filelists?
Netscape, Edit, Preferences, Navigator, Applications, thats where the
music happens.

Best,

H.