RTMark administration on Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:06:14 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Notice of Intellectual Property Rights Infringement

     [orig To: "ALEXANDER KIM, BLOOMBERG/ NEW YORK" <AKIM1@bloomberg.net>]

Dear Charlene,

You have not written back to our last message. However, it has suddenly
come to our attention that Bloomberg, Inc. (hereafter referred to as
"Bloomberg") is making indecent use of RTMark material on its website. Most
notably among Bloomberg's ongoing series of acts that violate the interests
of news readers is a press release we sent out to news outlets on Dec. 29,
1999, with the full expectation that information within it would be
processed by professional or amateur journalists and turned into what is
commonly referred to as "news".

Your organization, counter to our expectations, took our press release and
simply republished it on its website (our archived copy:
http://www.rtmark.com/more/articles/etoybloomberg19991230.html).  Nowhere
in our Dec. 29, 1999 mailing did we suggest that such a practice by a
supposedly respectable news organization was acceptable or normal. It leads
us to think that you engage in such practice quite often, sometimes surely
with the press releases of far less savory enterprises than ours. It also
indicates that Bloomberg's processing of corporate p.r. effusions is in
general substandard and without proper critical distance, even when falling
short of outright reproduction.

You openly admit being in flagrante delicto in your letter of May 31, 2001,
posted for your convenience at http://rtmark.com/more/bloombergcd.doc .

Within ten (10) days:

 * supply, prominently on your website, written assurance that you, your
employees, agents and assigns will not in the future copy, sell and/or
distribute any material without prior proper journalistic treatment
thereof, especially when it originates with what you imagine are corporate
sources (as evidenced by May 31 letter cited above);
 * cease and desist any and all further distribution in print or
electronically of any insufficiently treated corporate press releases;
 * recall and impound any copies of such above-referenced material and
provide to us or any media watchdog group a list of all persons and
entities to whom such material has been distributed in any form;
 * surrender for destruction or creative use all inventory in your
possession or control of advertising, promotional or other materials
deriving from this material, if any; and
 * supply a written statement of any and all possible secondary or tertiary
misuse resulting from your sale or distribution of any such poorly
processed corporate material.

The above does not constitute an offer of settlement and is sent without
prejudice to any rights or claims of any media watchdog group, all of which
expressly are reserved.

Very truly yours,

Harmony Gutenberg Aldritchson
RTMark Tactics Department

http://rtmark.com/
Turning information resources into emotional capital.