Monica Narula on Tue, 29 May 2001 14:29:57 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> On the Public Domain: From the Sarai Reader 01

Posted here is an email discussion from within Sarai which was
printed in the Sarai Reader 01, around the idea of the public domain,
and what it does and can constitute.

All responses welcome. For more articles, go to www.sarai.net and
click on Journal-> Reader.
************************
dak@sarai.net
Discussing the Public Domain

From: shuddha@sarai.net
To: dak@sarai.net
Subject: The public in the Public Domain

I am interested in trying to stretch the meanings of the word
'Public' in the expression Public Domain to express something as
hidden as it is ubiquitous. This may shade off into meanings that are
the very opposite of what we commonly understand when we say 'Public'.
Remember the Hindi film song that said "Šyeh public jo hai, sub
jaanti hai" (this Public, it knows everything). This usage of the
word makes the Public, which seems to be a presence, into an animate
entity, a sentient being - a carrier of knowledge and a vector of
information. The "it knows everythingŠ" of the song, suggests that
this body of knowledge includes things that are not necessarily
apparent, or visible, or transparent. It means, the Public knows more
things than are generally up for grabs in, lets say, the 'marketplace
of the knowable'. It suggests codes and protocols of encryption that
circulate in self-governing constellations of people, data and
cultures. It evokes the idea of very public secrets, of whispers,
rumours, prophecies, blandishments, fantasies and calls for
insurrection that no one may be willing to speak out loud for fear of
being caught (a very wise and necessary fear) but which,
nevertheless, everyone is murmuring.
This means that the Public Domain may be the safest refuge for those
ideas that are vulnerable because they are the most radical. The ones
that need to be most obscure to the censor, and at the same time most
understandable in common speech, because they are the closest to
lived experience.
The desire to place cultural material - beginning with the software
in, and between, our machines, and ending with the software in, and
between, our minds - squarely in the Public Domain, means that we are
creating a body of work without necessarily placing any value on the
fact of who has created them, where each can contribute to his/her
inclination and take according to his/her desire. The identities of
the giver and receiver being fluid and in some senses meaningless in
this transaction, suggests that the origins and points of
transmission of messages can not be reliably verified, and are
therefore difficult to police. The costume designs of identification
and the disguises of anonymity are equally attractive forms of
attire. In shifting between one and the other, between secrets and
announcements, lies the enigmatic attraction of the adventure sport
of surfing the Public Domain.

From: ravis@sarai.net
Subject: Discussing the Public Domain

The history of the public domain is not an easy one. In his classic
text, The Fall of Public Man, Richard Sennett traces the first use of
the 'public' to England in 1470, where it was a shorthand for the
common 'good'.Similarly, 'le public' in 17th century France was a
region of sociability and conversation. It seems to me that classical
western notions of the 'public' as a space of conversation,
solidarity and dialogue face a run into a theoretical conundrum. Most
accounts (Habermas, etc.) trace a high point in the early modern
period and map a period of secular decline from industrial capitalism
in the 19th century. From the 19th century the distinction firmly
drove the sphere of intimacy into the private sphere, and public
conversation declined. Modern architecture, particularly the
International Movement emptied 'public' space, making it a formal,
dead space - witness Corbusier's plans for Algiers and Chandigarh.
In the Indian case the street (the market, the tea stall) was always
a space for public conversation in most towns and cities. Colonialism
attempted to formalise this conversation, by setting up norms of the
'public good'. The idea of the 'public good' is a deeply problematic
one, all the more when we grapple with the contemporary. There is
certain violence to the way in which the 'public good' has been
retailed in the recent past in India's cities. Given the experience
of the past few decades my personal sensibility would be to critique
the entire discourse of the public good as it stands in India, where
the term is increasingly moving towards a legal right to live, work
and move in the city.
Is conversation possible in a future public domain? It seems to me
that in the new media, there is conversation - among communities of
free software coders, between sub-cultures of youth, hackers, sexual
minorities. The important thing is that all this is happening in a
medium that is ambivalent to space in the classic sense of the term.
There is nothing 'Western' about this. Those cultural elites who have
no problem in valourising print culture as a period of possibility
would do good to take a stroll down the back alleys of their own
neighbourhoods and see the social groups who are participating in the
culture of new media. The vast majority of Indians access the new
media outside their homes, diverging from the West.
Thinking about a future public domain must also lead us to question
the classic and easy relationship between space and conversation,
between intimacy and solidarity. There are no easy answers here, but
the questions must begin.

From: monica@sarai.net
Subject: What's this public?

Is it possible to construct a homogenous 'public' outside of class,
caste, gender, race? Can the 'public' be a resolved category?
What happens to these multiplicities in a singular concept?
For those who go from home to work, and commute long hours to come
home again, public space is basically the interminable zone between
work, and rest, in order to go back to work again. And the park is
usually for a short snatched siesta at lunch. Which is why they are
locked and wetted at night.
For many women, entry into the public space is marked by idioms that
work like umbrellas. They provide the required shadow in which they
can experience the otherwise common sensation of being within a group
of those who are familiar, not so familiar, or strangers.
One idiom that serves this purpose well is religion. My mother, for
example, goes to kirtan every week. These are like kitty kirtan
gatherings. Devotional songs, gossip, domestic knowledge, anxieties,
and sometimes even wishes and desires are shared. Later, she returns
home with prasad for the family. But like all the others, she has
ensured that her time-out matches the not-at-home time of the other
members of her family. In that sense, her public space is a temporal
one.
Another idiom is the commodity. For a woman to spend time in the
market, the alibi has to be that she needs to buy something, a
definitive sanctioned purpose. My mother enjoys going to the local
market and the weekly bazaars. She moves around these spaces with
confidence and poise. She bargains, weighs, buys and exclaims. But
when she returns, she has to describe the bazaar experience as
'tiring'.
To be able to loiter, 'without intent', in a strange space, without
the protection or the burden of umbrellas, may be a desire that will
require a more open rendition of the public.
Another strand entirely:
If the curfew is a censorship of public space,
Then IPC Section 144 is the Cinematograph Act of the public space,
And the Suppression of Immoral Traffic Act is a sub-clause.
But where, then, is the censor board of the public space?

From: jeebesh@sarai.net
Subject: For a discussion on Public Domain

A court judgement says, "The airways are public property". It is so
because they have been created by public money. The job of the State
is to manage and regulate the usage of this resource.
So, a specific definition around access, boundaries, permissibility,
desirability, infringements, and sanctions has been marked and
licenses will be promulgated. We can clearly see how a regulated and
monitored space is being produced under the term 'public'.
Another term that emerges in the examination of such usage is the
'public sector', used interchangeably with 'government business
undertakings'. Here the irreconcilable contradiction between labour
and capital is hidden under the dominant meaning-constructs of
'public good' and 'public necessity'.
The term 'public order' is used insistently by the state to intervene
and regulate in all kinds of issues, contests and conflicts. Here
again the word is being used as a category that dissolves social
antagonisms, contradictions, issues of power and access. Probably
only 'public administrators' wholly understand the deep nuances of
the term!
At one level the word 'public' is deeply imbricated within the
state's presence in the ordering, regulating, monitoring, and
creating of spaces, social wealth and discourses. But at another
level it is clearly evident that this same word also makes possible a
laying of a larger claim, to resources and spaces that would
otherwise remain inaccessible to many. People contest various forms
of economic and social denial, expropriation, and repression by
creatively working out differing definitions of 'public good',
'public lands', 'public interest', etc. This is what corporations,
for example, find difficult to push out of their way, and will
increasingly find it so because of multiplying contestations for the
same resources. There is only so much land and water and air.
At this definitional level, it may be productive to engage with all
the various definitions of the public that are being articulated
through various contestations and negotiations. The crucial question,
of course, is: from which vantage point is one to look at this
contestation and which definition does one extend? I would think that
an 'imaginary' of an 'ought to be', of a desirable social formation,
perhaps exists, lingering somewhat as an under-articulated shadow.
I would prefer an imaginary which works out the politics and poetics
of 'open and common' space, with un-regulated access. Imagination,
creativity, fantasy and dreams would together produce, protect and
multiply this fragile commons. The practice of the making of 'digital
public databases', for example, or sharing music over the net, or
developing software in a free and open way, seem to be asking for a
challenging and inventive concept of the public. In that sense the
term 'Public Domain' seems to me to have such a meaning, or at least
to posit it, as it is a term not located in just the spatial.
But un-regulated access does not mean that one disregards various
not-so-visible boundaries of this public domain. Since meanings are
very mobile, they need to be continuously and creatively worked upon.
Just like its earlier cousins, 'Public Domain' is also under pressure
of being mutated into 'public space'!

From: Saumya Gupta <sgupta@sarai.net>
Subject: Anybody/Everybody

Continuing with the above, one can think of the opportunity/handicap
of effacement that people have in the urban domain, not so in a
village. Isn't it a case of nobody knows anybody vs. everybody knows
everybody? By definition, I think, the public domain wants me to
identify myself before it engages with me. Which is not to say that
you cannot be anonymous in the public domain. It has historically
signified a kind of happy nameless, effaced existence. But that is
only when you are thought of as collectivity, and you think, behave,
demand as a collective public. The moment you want to avail of
something individually, a public identity has to be posited. For
something as simple as travel by train, you have to be somebody
identifiable, authenticated, verified.
Is the public something people are part of, or is it something inside
them? Can the notion of a public have fantasy connotations?
The question of identity within a public domain deeply engages me. I
am many things, many personas, and for me to define myself as one of
those leads me into the terrain of suppositions, assumptions and even
fabrication. I am not comfortable with this but do it all the time.
The public domain then is a realm of fantasy identities that we
assume as and when required. The multilayered-ness of self means that
each of us is always/already made up of many 'virtual' selves. Which
leads me to think - do I have to necessarily fabricate to be a part
of a public? Any Public? Is the public domain just a notional entity?

From: Awadhendra Sharan <sharan@sarai.net>
Subject: On the Public Domain

It seems to be that the Public domain, as a domain of experience, is
of at least three types: political public domain, cultural public
domain and a more generalized sense of the public which is the object
of Development and Nation-building, the population as public. In the
first two modes, publics constitute themselves; they exercise choice
and decide to be counted. The public as population, however, is acted
upon, is subject to agendas set from above, albeit accompanied by the
rhetoric of participation. For the population as public, protest is
the only mode of expressing choice.
All forms of the 'public' inhabit both an idealized space and many
mutable forms of existing ones. Universal access (of adults) and
active participation in issues of general interest characterize the
ideal political public. Universal access within cultural boundaries,
howsoever imagined, and a concern with intra-community issues
characterize the ideal cultural public. Children, men and women are
all constituents of this cultural public. Finally, the concern with
equity, the daridranarayan as primary beneficiary marks the ideal
stance of the population as public rhetoric.
Real publics, to be sure, differ widely from these idealized
formulations. There are boundary keepers in all instances of the
public, assuming such role through status, power or consent. These
boundary keepers are also constantly challenged, the contest being
most marked in instances where the State abrogates to itself the role
of the watchdog, ensuring that only 'desirable' forms of public are
constituted and others suppressed. The contest is not absent in the
case of cultural publics either with the young, women and assetless
asserting for recognition against the policing role assumed by the
elder, male and propertied representatives of the community. These
are indeed necessary contests if actually existing publics wish to
strive towards idealized publics.
There is, however, another issue within the various forms of publics
about which we have not worried enough. This concerns not the gap
between the ideal and the real, but
the form of the ideal itself, of articulating interests that are
general, beyond immediate
and parochial interests. The ideal signals to the possibility of ways
in which we can think of collective interests, without prejudice,
bias or calculations of personal benefit. It empowers each individual
to assume responsibility for an abstract sense of the collective than
that into which one has been born, to step beyond boundaries that are
already drawn for us.
This ideal possibility of a universal way of becoming public is most
marked in the political and the imaginations of the population as
public. To a lesser extent, however, it is located within cultural
public imaginary too.
I subscribe to this imagination. I believe that in a deeply
inegalitarian society such as India, there is a need to aspire
towards universality, to step outside one's ascribed status and
identities. But this assent to universality immediately poses
problems for I simultaneously recognize that the universal has often
been a cloak for disguising the parochial. That it has historically
served as an excuse for civilisational violence. On a different
register, I realize too that in many instances public articulation is
the basis for constituting the personal. To offer a divide between
the private and the public would therefore serve to rob us of this
possibility.
I have no answers to this dilemma. Acting as a universal public,
while recognizing one's situated-ness, seems to offer a way of
negotiating with it. But this is possibly easier argued in theory
than enacted in the public.

From: ravikant@sarai.net
Subject: Public Domain - A few comments

It is obvious in the discussion that public domains are historically
constituted and reconstituted through a series of contestations. In
the modern and our own times, the idea of Democracy has worked itself
out through various public domains. What is also crucial is the issue
of violence in determining the shape and nature of the public domain.
Violence is often deployed, in South Asian situations at least, to
articulate a political point. As an important weapon in the struggle
for or against power, it creates a logic of its own, marginalising
other forms/agencies of political actors. Since the predicament is
doubly ironical in a country like India which has produced one of the
most successful and non-violent mass movements, violence as a tool of
political hegemony is worth thinking about.
Language is another, perhaps less dramatic, but equally significant
entry point to the conundrum as to how public domains get
constituted. And the case of India's so-called National Language -
Hindi - is curious. It is simultaneously the language of power as
well as struggle. On the one hand it is pitted against the might of
English, the language of erstwhile colonial masters that is also the
language of the elite in India. But it would be a gross
simplification to suggest that Hindi is only the language of masses.
Because it quickly picked up the tricks of power and became the
language of command in Independent India, devouring the numerous rich
dialects in the process of standardising and 'Sanskritising' itself.
Official Hindi became increasingly wooden and remote from living
culture. This parallel culture of the popular of course continues to
thrive in the films, fiction, songs and poetry. But there is the
perpetual anxiety: why has Hindi not been able to graduate to become
the language of research and reflection? Is it doomed to go on
servicing the traditional, although by all accounts very rich,
literary domain?
After this sketchy backgrounder, one can perhaps respond to the
issues of Digital Divide raised by Geert Lovink. Yes, it is an issue
here. With the onset of digital communications the anxiety referred
to above has acquired a new dimension. There is a sense of being left
out, an urgency to catch up with breakneck speed with which
technologies worldwide are updating themselves while the Hindi
Virtual Public Domain struggles to develop such basic computational
tools as Digital Dictionaries, Spell Checkers, and E-mail. This is
one side of the story. On the other side is also the large majority
that is paranoid of the New Media, coming as it does packaged in the
larger ensemble of Globalisation and the attendant structural
adjustments and unbridled consumerism. The cultural shock of
satellite TV is not yet over (the government is considering banning
Fashion TV, on grounds of obscenity) and people are being bombarded
with the mixed fare that is the World Wide Web. The tentative
presence of Hindi on the Web is refreshing to the extent that the
language here is more eclectic than officious and some innovations
are taking place outside state tutelage, in the arena of small
entrepreneurship and collective endeavours. Although, overwhelming
NRI input is more in the nature of nostalgia rather than creativity
and ways of seeing are not new at all. So, on the whole, digital
technology is being received with apprehension and awe for the moment
by the entrenched Hindi intelligentsia, the initial breakthroughs
notwithstanding. The battle of languages to climb on to the
triumphalist technological bandwagon and the sad story of the ones
missing out and thereby getting relegated in the emergent public
domain is interesting even as we try to make languages
techno-friendly.

From: Ravi Vasudevan <raviv@sarai.net>
Subject: Sarai Public Domain Discussion

There is a debate in India about the quandaries contemporary culture
and politics faces in dealing with frameworks for representation.
This has to do with looking at categories and frameworks which have
emerged from western political and cultural theory, and center on the
status of civil society - classically defined as the domain of freely
associating individuals who determine the structures of political and
cultural action - in the circumstances of a post colonial society
riven with economic, educational, cultural, and status inequalities
and hierarchies. These divisions have often meant that everyone
cannot freely associate, have a voice within civil institutions and
lay claim to the resources of the state. The irony has been that when
new, formerly subordinated groups enter the civil domain they may
entirely infringe the protocols of representation, discussion and
communication, often very violently. Let us say that there is an
inevitable, and perhaps necessary destabilization of such protocols,
before a new, more equitable consensus emerges to determine adequate
changes. While this debate around the civil defines one form of the
exceeding of the repressive functions of normative structures, where
does this place the issue of public discourse?
My sense is that the public cannot, in terms of conceptual
creativity, simply mirror this process of cultural and political
representation, or alternative formulations such as political
society. The creativity of public forms and the public domain can
have a series of on the ground, everyday dimensions, where people
work at the interstices of legality, build ties and networks, adjust
with the powers that be in the adminstration and police, to form a
necessarily unstable public - with drives to find employment, to gain
knowledges and effect communication, to dissemble about one's
identity, to develop access to spaces and facilities that may be
formally proscribed or economically out of reach. This is not a
public public, but a necessarily unofficial one, one that does not,
indeed cannot, afford to advertise itself. Let us not even call it a
counter-public, because, as Calhoun points out, it is not as if these
practices are the ones desired by those compelled to deploy them,
there may be a desire to be included, and become legitimate, within
official protocols; but it is this public that courses through the
everyday life of our society, and is crucial to the very
possibilities of its being.
But there is another field, that of the imagination, that we need to
think through. What I will say here is entirely exploratory, but it
arises from a sense that individuals form into liminal public
entities through an investment in a disaggregating media universe.
Whether you listen to the pocket radio, the widely circulated musical
cassette, go to the cinema, watch programmes or films on the TV,
access the net, there is a special, individuated way in which you
receive and internalize what you hear and see. You might be doing it
as part of a group - a cinema audience, a family watching the TV or
jhuggi dwellers sharing facilities - but, arguably, there is still
something that exceeds group circumstances of address and viewing
practice. I say this because it is widely assumed that Indian society
functions differently, is motivated by collective and group forms of
subjectivity, and such forms are instituted in the way frameworks of
representation and modes of cultural address have developed. But
consider that there is still an interiority at work, which the
outside, the larger intersubjective frame cannot map itself onto; and
there you have a serious problem for inquiry and practice. For, if at
this personal level, images and sounds and information impact on me
in ways different from the way others seem to respond, I should step
back and think, this must be happening to them, too. And then I have
to think, this is about memory and about desire, about fantasy, and,
finally, it's about not wanting to be alone in these imaginings.
I'm not sure how we reach an understanding of this particular desire
to connect an interiority to a public frame. Film and other types of
cultural analysis have often tried to grapple with this, bringing a
whole body of methods and sensitivities to the study of public
cultural institutions, narratives, and formal peculiarities. Speaking
as an academic, I would like to strengthen imaginative forms of
research in ways which engage intellectual reflection in lively
dialogue with the everyday practices that course through the public
sensorium, to body forth the lineaments of shadowed desires, mundane
hopes and yes, to confront our darkest selves.