Alan Sondheim on Sat, 26 May 2001 01:28:46 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> discourse and reflexive text of america:::

-

discourse and reflexive text of america:::

:::i turn to you because i've no other way to write, respond;nd; i'm in
despair;ir; this is a closed text;xt; it wants to be open;en; it wants
your residue;ue; this is a reflexive text;xt; it's self-referential;al; it
mixes its residue with your own;wn; it's open the way a membrane is
open;en; it filters in and filters out;ut; it's allowing you in;in; it's
in the guise of meaning;ng; it's proposing meaning: this sort of meaning
which can ascertain itself;lf; this tendency towards place:: everything
seems so old around here:::this is the discourse of america:::

everything seems so old around here:: i can't remember what i wrote
yesterday;ay; it's already slotted;ed; allotted;ed; it's a fast-forward
american writing;ng; it's a gaping maw;aw; it's a gaping hole;le;
everything that ever was or will be falls in;in; everything falls into a
place;ce; doesn't fall into place;ce; i turn to you to take action;on;
recover our civil liberties;es; respond and write;te; end our despair;ir;
open our texts;ts; america wants them closed;ed; america filters and
mixes;es; america's closed the way a membrane is closed:: everything seems
so old around here:::

:: everything seems so old around here:: poisons pollute the atmosphere::
everyone speaks and there's no one to hear:: america's gripped by enormous
fear:: it scuttles and breaks every frontier:: the rest of the world looks
with a sneer:: i don't remember what i wrote yesterday;ay; what i wrote
last night;ht; i don't remember where i was this morning;ng; i don't know
what i'm wearing now (i can look);k); MISERY!;Y!; this is a world to bring
to an end;nd; it /has the convex hull close to the horizon that exists
within measurable space;ce; don't forget the space;ce; writing beneath the
aegis of ghosts;ts; emanations;ns; emanants: amerika where are you::
violate all age and antiquity:: no time for historiography:: my analysis
equivalent to yours: better than your own:: better than yours; imminence::
this is the reflexive text of america:::::

i turn to you because i've no other way to write, respond;nd; i'm in
antiquity:: no time for historiography:: my analysis equivalent to yours:
better than yours; better than your own:: diamond-cut:: perfection and
solution of all problems:: imminence:: this is the reflexive text of
america:::::

_