scotartt on Tue, 22 May 2001 06:35:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> reinventing the ASCII stream digest [integer, cramer]

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:49:47PM -0400, nettime's_prior_artists wrote:

> > 2.2. Java Player
>
> There's one problem with Java Players: All JVMs I know presuppose a
> graphical user interface, cannot be used under Unix or DOS text consoles

Just a note of technical pedantry: this is just not true. JVMs do not
require the use of a GUI. (for the non-technical, Florian means 'Java
Virtual Machines' which is the bit of magic that takes the portable java
'byte code' and executes it on the particular computer architecutre at
hand). Yes a JVM will have the 'AWT' and if >= version 1.2 also the
'swing' libraries supported (they have it is in the spec), but this does
==not== mean the programmer has to import those libraries and utilise
them.

Server-side java is the living proof of this. They all use standard JVMs.
No compliant EJB container/server can use a GUI on the server side -- it's
not thread safe for a start!!! I haven't found one that doesn't use a
standard JDK yet.

I have used java quite successfully on non-X equipped computers. DOS
support is probably more to do with the computer its running on and
assumptions that vendors make about DOS-equipped machines (i.e. that they
are really running windoze).

I don't think there would be any issue taking a *byte stream* from a
network or file socket or <STDIN> and rendering it in ascii (or more like,
UTF-8) to <STDOUT> or <STDERR>. (in non tech-speak, to the locally active
text console).

I'm also surprised no-one has mentioned ... TEXT MODE QUAKE!!!

scot.

(an ex text-only BBS, telnet-loving, sort of guy).

   [[ From: scot@autonomous.org ]]                |
+--[[ NERVE AGENT AUDIO SYSTEMS ]]--+--(CH3)2CH-O-P=O--+
   [[ http://mp3.com/nerveagent ]]                |
                                                  CH3