josh zeidner on Sat, 12 May 2001 22:09:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Ruins of a new economy

 Nice post.

 Its seems to me that the carnage is not yet over.  The first domino has
toppled, but there could be more. The "new economy" should not really be
viewed as an addendum to the "old economy", this new sector of growth was
crucial to american social stability.  It was employing an entire
generation of americans.  Most news outlets report that the job market was
not seriously effected by the dotcom dropoff.  I cant really understand
why.  I think the last thing the government wants is an entire age group
restless and unemployed( and accustomed to living in relative luxury ).
Smells like a problem to me.

 Whats next?  Whats the next big thing for america?  It sure as hell is
not going to be a technological movement.  I think that the public in
general is sick of hearing that the secret to life comes in a box and if
you buy one you get one free.  If anything the next era in america( and
the world ) will probably best resemble the 60s in character.

 -josh