eon on Sat, 12 May 2001 13:11:59 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Forgery or Freudian Slip?

From: registrar-announce@icann.org
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:34:08 -0700
To: "ICANN Registrar Announcement List" <registrar-announce@icann.org>
Subject: [registrar-announce] Forged ICANN Email Alert

Dear Registrars,

Within the past 24 hours, at least one registrar has received a forged
e-mail that purports to be from ICANN, but is not.  This incident was
not caused by any of ICANN's systems; it was just a simple forged
e-mail, apparently from a user at global.net.uk [195.147.246.212].

The message was sent at or about 02:57:09 GMT on Thursday, May 10,
2001.  The text of the forged message was as follows:

***********************START FORGED MESSAGE***********************

To whom it may concern,

After numerous complaints and an investigation, we have found that there
are 2 or more individuals who are paying your company thousands of
dollars, whether outright or under the table, for special privileges on
"grabbing" expired domain names when they are released to the public for
re-registration.

We also have reason to believe that 1 or more of these individuals are
including coding in their scripts/programs that make it appear as they
are the registrar themselves.

This is against the terms set forth in the registrar accreditation and
the registrar policy.
Any violation of these terms can and will result in immediate
cancellation of all your registrar privileges.

We will be monitoring your registry for the next 60 days. If this
continues, all your registrar privileges can and will be terminated
immediately. This is considered a courtesy notice. We will contact
[*_registrar name redacted_*] directly if this problem continues.

We know most registrars are being scripted during the release of expired
domain names. We have no problem with this. We simply do not and will
not allow special privileges for "paying" members.

There is no need to respond to this email. If this problem persists, we
will be contacting you.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Dan Halloran
Icann Chief Registrar Liaison

Dan Halloran did not send this message, as is apparent by examining
the message's full header.  It is possible to determine that a
message was most likely legitimately sent from ICANN by reviewing
the message headers and confirming that the message was sent through
"mailhub.icann.org".

Thank you for your attention.  If you have any questions about the
legitimacy of any communication from ICANN, please feel free to call or
send a confirming message directly to the purported sender of the