Mikael Pawlo on Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:22:22 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> New transparancy in the EU

Official EU documents published on the Internet can soon be the effect of
a new decision pending in the European Parliament.

It will be easier for EU citizens to obtain official documents from the
three EU institutions: the European Parliament, the Council and the
Commission. This is the effect of a recent agreement in principle reached
between the Member States, the Commission and the Parliament.

On the 3rd of May, the Parliament will take a decision on the issue in its
plenary session. If the decision is made, it shall be approved by the
Council. If its approved by the council, the new rules can then enter into
force.

What I find extremely valuable and also quite unique is that the
institutions, according to the suggested decision, also should publish
electronic versions of documents on the Internet to make the information
readily accessible. In my opinion this could have many positive effects as
of transparancy.

More information and facts on the new transparency:
http://www.eu2001.se/static/eng/docs/oppenhet_0425_eng.asp

Regards,

Mikael

  ICQ:35638414                                mailto:mikael@pawlo.com