Ronda Hauben on 5 Apr 2001 14:39:07 -0000

<nettime> NAS DNS Study Comm-April 5 comments on provisional members due

 This notice about the upcoming meeting of the National Academy of
 Science DNS study committee was posted on IP mailing list this past
 Sunday I think. There has been little public attention paid to the
 formation of this new committee to write a report on this
 controversial issue for the US Congress. It is interesting that the
 notice didn't mention that the committee appointments
 were provisional and that the public had 20 days from the date of
 their being posted at the NAS web site to comment on them.

 It does seem that the NAS DNS process is already an even more
 closed process than the ICANN situation, and that ICANn was a serious
 problem because of the closed nature of that whole process.

 So I called and spoke with NAS staff person Margaret Marsh and asked when
 the date for comments to be in by was, and she said April 5, 2001.

 I mentioned to her that it would be good if the comments could
 be posted publicly, not just disappear into the bowels of
 the NAS committee never to be paid any attention to.

 In any case, probably it would be good to try to utilize the
 procedure, though all indications I have had from the NAS
 DNS committee is that there is no means of their taking
 seriously that they are dealing with a public question
 and that there is a public interest at stake and that
 a small, closed group of people like those on the committee
 cannot represent that public interest unless they find
 a way to open up the whole process.  Ronda

 (Also see the article in Telepolis
 http://www.heise.de/tp/english/inhalt/te/7248/1.html )