stalder on 3 Apr 2001 04:07:22 -0000

Re: <nettime> nettime-bold.

fran ilich <ilich_030@hotmail.com> wrote:

> and after the <nettime> 1800 nettimers post, i have to question what
> is the sense of maintaning such a list, if its clear that no one is
> reading it (ok, 25, but 1783 dont), plus the bold is an authentic spam
> factory where you receive everything from porno ads, fraud-mails, to
> spells and incantations. it is clear that nettime readers want an edited
> version (the reason why moderators have to work around the clock), and
> if nettime-bold was the version for the masses who wanted to have it all,
> then the masses are 25, sorry, 24 (im unsubscribing soon).

The value of nettime-bold, in my personal opinion, is not only measured in
the number of subscribers but also by the fact that it provides transparency
in regard to the work of the moderators: by comparing the two feeds, one
can easily see what the moderators actually do.

In a way,  records kept in a public archive play a similar role. It doesn`t
matter how many people actually go an read these records, that fact that
they are public makes a huge difference in and off itself because it provides
the possibility of an instant audit.

Perhaps even more important is the fact the nettime-bold provides anyone
sufficiently interested with the possibility of doing an alternative moderation
(ie. one only focussing on net.art, US relevant posts, whatever). The
cypherpunks lists used to work that way. There was an unmoderated feed
of truly gigantic proportions and several people provided various filtered
version for special interest audiences.

Best. Felix