murphy on 19 Mar 2001 02:13:33 -0000

Re: <nettime> Carl Loeffler (was: net art history)

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Tilman Baumgaertel wrote:

> Murphy, you mention Carl Loeffler, and that he died recently, a fact of
> which I wasn't aware. In my research on early, pre-internet
> telecommunication art I kept encountering his name. He edited an issue of
> Leonardo Magazine on telecommunication art and started the art.com
> newsgroup - that is as much as I know of him.

I'm beginning to think I imagined his death. I know I read an obit
somewhere, probably Wired News, but searches have brought no mention.
There's not much from him past 1996. If my report of his death was
exaggerated I apologize. Even if that is the case it's still strange that
so many people don't know what happened to him. He was still running the
art.com newsgroup and teaching (I think) at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh
around 1993. His concept of a "virtual museum" was an influence on me
early on and I've been interested in these earlier theories of virtuality
lately.

Me thinks a great many names are in the process of being "expunged" right
now by American art museums, galleries and magazines as they write the
history of "art in a technological age..."

Rob