ben moretti on 8 Mar 2001 03:44:43 -0000

<nettime> mutated spooky fish

reading brian carroll's fishing expedition
(http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200103/msg00061.html)
reminded me of one of my own a few years ago.

i was working for the environment protection agency in south australia, and
was researching the effects of the herbicide glyphosate on frog populations,
when it is used to control weeds on the verges of streams and creeks.

glyphosate is produced by monsanto, a lovely company, under the name of
roundup(c).

as part of my research i sent an email to a number of newsgroups (this was
1994 or 1995) requesting information from researchers around the world.

as well as their responses, i received an email from monsanto in the usa
demanding to know why i was researching this, and what i was planning to do
with the data. shortly thereafter i was contacted by the australian
marketing nob of monsanto for a meeting, at which he bluffed and
smokescreened and made veiled threats.

i'll probably get a phone call from this!!

very spooky

cheers

ben

--