Pit Schultz on 20 Feb 2001 02:32:33 -0000

<nettime> from the p2p conference

"After the 9th Circuit Court decision, I feel that the only way to
deal with law in cyberspace is to ignore it, wildly, flagrantly,"
Barlow said. "I want everyone in this room to consider themselves a
revolutionary and go out and develop whatever you damn well please."

While Barlow said the increasing strength of intellectual property
laws was the result of corruption between rich entertainment
contributors and Congress, Lessig said the roots are deeper than that.

"It's more than just corruption. The ordinary public is on Hollywood's
side.... The public has to learn to understand how creativity depends
on stuff being returned to the public.

"The American public believes they are protecting themselves and
Hollywood against a bunch of hippies and communists," Lessig said,
noting to Barlow, "You've been called a hippie, and I've been called a
communist."

The first and most important [??] conference on P2P
O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer Conference
Westin St. Francis Hotel -- San Francisco, California
February 14-16, 2001

dowload presentations:  (pdf)
ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/conference/p2p2001/

netcasts:
http://www.technetcast.com/tnc_archives_date.html

havn't found lessig's text yet, here are some interviews:
Code + Law: An Interview with Lawrence Lessig
http://www.openp2p.com/lpt/a/577
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/01/30/lessig.html
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/02/16/lessig.html