Heiko Recktenwald on 15 Dec 2000 22:19:43 -0000

Re: <nettime> German Landmark Nazi Ruling

Some clarifications, please correct me if I am wrong:

> The Federal Court disagreed with his legal arguments, but, in doing
> so, effectively set the precedent that all material published on the
> Web is subject to German post-Second World War legislation.

Yes. But in the case, it was also said, that it must be somehow targeted
to the state of germany, its inner peace, as the law, btw, says too..

And, btw 2, the guy was convicted by the lower court only for his
*letters* to germany...

> Yahoo in the US is currently defending its auction site against
> German court action, dating from late November. In that case, Yahoo
> is accused of selling Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler's notorious manifesto,
> on its service. The book is banned in Germany.

And no. It is not banned here. It is just impossible to reprint it.
The state of bavaria has the copyright and doesnt allow reprinting.

Well, as allways, maybe also in France, black and white is to simple.

H.