mollybh on 8 Dec 2000 15:15:20 -0000

<nettime> Ars Electronica and NEXT SEX critique

hi nettime,

i know that there is a lot to talk about on nettime but sometimes it seems
that some really incredible things are posted and get overlooked because
of the other discussions. An example of this is William Osborne's
criticisms of Ars Electronica regarding the NEXT SEX theme and exhibitions
and the reactionary sexist elements of the 2000 festival. As nettime has
had an integral relation to Ars Electronica in the past, it would seem
that perhaps we should respond to the content of the review and/or to the
festival curators themselves.

I haven't really known how to broach this subject with nettime. I have
only been aware that both Ana Viseu and William Osborne posted the review
and that Osborne has organized some women musicians.

Was anyone at the festival and/or does anyone have further information or
comments about the repugnant allegations of sexism and reactionary
politics outlined in Osbornes review?

Does anyone feel like working on getting any statements from Ars
Electronica or wriitng a letter of response?

molly