geert lovink on 30 Nov 2000 02:48:00 -0000

<nettime> urgent call to support edi muka in albania

(see the nettime archive for five or so interviews I have done over the
years with Edi Muka)

fwd. from the syndicate list:

from: "Marina Grzinic" <margrz@zrc-sazu.si>
to: <abroeck@transmediale.de>
subject: GRZINIC, URGENT PROPOSAL FOR EDI MUKA-A PETITION AND A NOTE OF PROTEST
date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:36:40 +0100

DEAR SYNDICATE MEMBERS,
a great friend, a devoted member of the list + excellent   writer, curator,
proffesional Edi Muka, from Tirana  is in the process of  being fired by
the PYRAMID project - Tirana  he  put up, and devoted  his life and work.
I think we have the chance  and the duty to react,   I think we have to
write a  petition  in favour  to Edi Muka, to  be signed and send to the
authorities in Albania to reconsider their  acts!!! Also I  suggest that
this petition has to be send  out  by V2, Rotterdam, which started the list
Syndicate and send by it -  V2  to the authorities in Albania and people
that are  responsable for  the situation that are attacking Edi. This also
because an organization is much  more effective for Albanians authorihy
than an initiative of an individual. We  can sign  the petition and V2 can
send the petition when  the members  of syndicate will signed it. Lets do
this very QUICK!
Marina Grzinic

earlier on Edi Muka posted the following to syndicate:

hello everybody,
i am writing this message to let you know that i am leaving the pyramid.
after having become obstacle to somebody's interests to get hold of the
building, because i found it more appropriate to have it as a cultural
center, the goverment is firing me from the place. they simply don't want
someone like me on the way and this is the best and easiest solution.
obviously there's nothing in my work that could give that a chance to fire
me, but it seems that in albania this doesn't really matter.
therefore my dear friends after almost 2 years of efforts i see everything
vanish, but that's the way life goes. they simply need some doll over here
to do what they'll tell him.
soon enough i'll be changing my contacts and i'll let you know once i do
that. this looks like the end of the contemporary art center in tirana, not
because i am leaving it, but because the successor has nothing at all to do
with arts and he's there to fullfill certain interests.
until futher notice,
best to everyone,

edi muka