Tina LaPorta on 19 Nov 2000 21:08:31 -0000

<nettime> is the internet enough?

last month the editors from enculturation invited me to a week-long e-mail
interview... below are some excerpts from the exchange as well as the URL
for the full text.

http://www.uta.edu/huma/enculturation/3_1/laporta/

davidRieder -> How or where do you situate your work as a media artist?
... who are your audiences ...

i situate my work in overlapping, sometimes contradictory spaces-- both
ideological and physical. my work has crossed over from old media to new,
private space to public-- interweaving techno-theory with feminist
perspectives concerning subjectivity.

< ... >

this work marks a struggle for me in the representation of female
subjectivity as fully expressed or even acknowledged by the other. my
ambivalence as to whether technology, either as an artistic tool or a
social construction, will drown out our voices or be used to amplify them
is evident here.

< ... >

while working with individual audio files i proceed to cut and paste their
conversation that could easily occur in a CU chat room. the result becomes
a self-reflexive dialog which articulates the nuances of living in a
society obsessed with technology. will these contemporary technological
advancements in communications brings us closer together or in contrast,
pull us further apart?

< ... >

ultimately, i think that feminist artists will always be criticized
especially by other feminists for not being or doing enough for feminism.
we will always be thought of as lacking in our effectiveness in bringing
the feminist project forward in the public sphere, irregardless of our own
economically impoverished state.

< ... >

have you ever tried to "reach" someone with a cell phone? always available
never accessible. trying to make contact with absence seems to be the name
of the game these days. underscoring our failed attempts to communicate.

once a connection has been established, bits and pieces of words dropping
out are barely heard dispersed between gaps of silence and strange
echo's... the texture of the technology appears to make a stronger
statement than it's user.

technology has taken center stage and we are just the audience here.
caught up in some kind of illusion of connectivity.

is the apparatus to blame for our communication breakdowns, or are we?

< ... >

for one, as an artist "this emergence" has opened up my work to an
audience that may never be exposed to my ideas in any other situation
precisely because the internet appears to be more democratic than
traditional art world structures. through this medium i have emerged as an
artist situating myself amongst my peers positioned on a global scale.
within this context i have been a part of an on-going, unfolding dialog
which is just as crucial to the development of my work as it's
distribution.

< ... >

is the internet enough?

this remains to be seen. an unfinished work, an unanswered question.

/end

--

Tina LaPorta
mailto:laporta@interport.net