Benjamin Geer on 15 Nov 2000 21:18:57 -0000

Re: <nettime> No Logo is a good Logo

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 03:58:11PM +1100, scotartt wrote:
> Apart from Randall's excellent point above, another 'real problem'
> with the whole 'no logo' logo is that the advertising and marketing
> industries already know all about it and their thinkers are devising
> strategies to work with or around it, if they haven't done so
> already.

This is one of the main subjects of Klein's book.  I suggest that you
read it before criticising it.

> Ultimately Nike doesn't give a shit about its logo -- it first and
> foremost wants your MONEY. After having bought the product, you want
> to rip off the logo; what does Nike care?

If that were the case, then companies like Nike would not be engaging
in numerous legal campaigns to prevent satirists and parodists (and
even fans) from using their logos and slogans.  Again, this is one of
Klein's main subjects.

--
Benjamin Geer
http://www.btinternet.com/~amisuk/bg