matt king on 14 Nov 2000 02:17:30 -0000

<nettime> No Logo is a good Logo

Naomi (Calvin) Klein's book "No Logo", is being promoted rather heavily
here in the UK, and perhaps globally. Her anti corporate capitalist stance
is something I have strong sympathies with.

However I feel that the promotion of her work in the media has been given
a one-dimensional branding all of its own. It seems that this book with
its large flat coffee table form will become another piece of christmas
present gloss that is talked about rather than read (I probably wont read
it).

It is somehow aesthetically pleasing that this "young, intelligent woman",
has written this and not some left wing old fashioned rabble = rouser. It
is easier to be on her side because there is a definite slick noughties
modern branding behind all this.  Obviously there is no point publishing
something that no one is aware of, but is it the issue that people like or
the sound of the words "No Logo" and "Naomi Klein" tripping off their
tongues, letting others know that they are down with the latest
compassionate consumer zeitgeist.  This is what I fear. I fear that it is
the Starbucks goers that will be buying the book.

I would prefer it if this book was published as more of a pulp popular
train station/airport book rather than a glossy Waterstones coffee table.
For its the hussle of the rush hour and the high street, where we

feel we are being unwillingly bounced into being consumers of the
corporates. Reading that book while in the midst of the dirt of
working/commuting would I imagine be a striking experience, rather than in
whatever peace and escape the home provides. I'd rather see someone
reading that on the tube than see it lying dead and unread on a glass
coffee table. (apologies for saying coffee table too often)

----{MATTY THE KINGSTER}----