Steve Cisler on 6 Nov 2000 08:53:06 -0000

<nettime> global CN 2000 (report)

 global CN 2000: First Global Congress on Community Networking: "the
human face in Internet". Barcelona, Spain. November 2-4.
http://www.cnglobal2000.org
Steve Cisler cisler@pobox.com

http://home.inreach.com/cisler

Waiting for a train from Port Bou on the Spanish border to Barcelona, I
was sitting in the station restaurant at 5 in the morning opposite a
producer from CNN who lived in a small town in Siberia and a Brit who
left his London slum at 16 and had worked 14 years as a gardener on the
Costa Brava. We were comparing the strangest meals we had ever eaten.
Michelle, the CNN woman, was making us lose our appetite with
descriptions of delicacies from Tuva and Kirghizstan. Both of my
colleagues were recovering from painful divorces, and their nomadic ways
increased after their families broke up. I was on the road much of the
time going to conferences or working on projects at the edge of the Net.
The local paper in Catalan showed a picture of captured "Mahgrebies"
(Moroccans and other North Africans) who had been arrested by a coastal
patrol and were being sent back. An Argentine waiter just arrived from
Buenos Aires and without a work permit is being paid under the table by
his employer. The constant mobility of people (with and without travel
papers) is such a dominant theme in all our lives, that the challenges
for those who stay in one town or region do not usually attract much
attention.

The conference that is ending today is about these people and the kinds
of networks being built and run to make life better for geographical
communities. Of course, they also deal with the needs of new arrivals
and diaspora groups. In the rural areas these networks are seen as a way
of stemming the rural-to-urban migration of young people looking for
work. This has not been proven, but it's a common hope.  This meeting
has attracted about 500 people from many parts of the world, with large
numbers from Spain, Europe, and Latin America, and a sprinkling from
Africa, North America, and parts of Asia and the Pacific. I saw no
Chinese or citizens from Arab countries. The coordinators from Spain,
France, and the UK did a good job of raising support from local Catalan
governments, Fondation Charles Leopold Mayer, the Polytechnic University
of Catalonia, Airtel (a local telco), and the French Ministry of Foreign
Affairs. This allowed them to bring activists and grass roots workers
from many projects around the world and to hold it in a hotel with good
facilities in a wonderful city whose attractions lured some of the
attendees from some of the sessions. It also attracted the attention of
a number of EU officials, as well as people from the ITU, and some other
foreign ministries.  Very few people from the corporate sector. Very few
hard core technologists or hackers, though Alberto Escudero Pascual from
Sweden was doing some very innovative things with wirelss. Quite a few
of the attendees might be comfortable with the label "social
entrepreneur."

As a conference it is a fairly standard arrangement: plenary sessions
where lines of speakers addressed the multitude, struggled with Power
Point, taking more time than allotted, and leaving a short time for a
few comments. On the plus side, more time was devoted to numerous
breakout sessions with a pair of presenters in each room who usually
encouraged a lot of interaction with the much smaller and intimate
audiences. These sessions, and of course the talking in the halls, were
the heart of the conference. This conference stood out in two ways: the
amount of resources devoted to translation (Spanish, French, English,
Catalan)--even for the breakouts, and the public computing area. Since a
good part of this conference is about public access sites (telecenters
and community technology centers) it was refreshing to see so few people
glued to the screen checking their email. Instead, most were meeting and
talking with other attendees. (This message was composed in my hotel
room where I went online only three times during the week I was in
Spain.)

What were the main themes of the conference? Each geographic region was
in a different stage of development. Canadian and U.S. community
networks might be considered "mature" while others in Europe and
Australia are in ascendancy. Part of it is public awareness, different
flows of funds (the U.S. has never had a great deal of outside support,
but EU funds for various programs have helped many cities and regions),
and the way the Internet has developed and overshadowed the local
concerns of community networkers. Sites all over the world that were
started by ad hoc groups of citizens and activists are facing
competition not only from dot com enterprises but also local governments
who are staking their own claim to the provision of services to
citizens. They come late to the game but with greater resources than
some of the non-profit groups.  The Africans and Latin Americans have
more interest in economic development, training, and the provision of
access through telecenters, but in Argentina there is also a growing
interest in community networks.

Telecenters (a placeholder word that covers a variety of physical sites
for public access, training and learning) are being sponsored by dozens
of foundations, government, and now companies in order to meet universal
service obligations, to spur economic development, to give kids
something to do after school or keep them off the street, and to provide
a place to talk about the changes taking place as a result of the very
technology being promoted by the centers. Often, the local people will
shape the center to meet their needs. Thousands of franchise centers are
being built in India, Colombia, Argentina, and Peru, and nobody is sure
how they will fit into the different communities. Many of the present
ones have been more customized through the use of interviews, focus
groups, and asset mapping techniques to involve the local people. Most
franchise models don't allow for that kind of flexibility, but they are
intended to make money and not rely on constant creative fundraising
from foundations.

The coordinators of the conference would dearly like to form a
consortium of community networking and telecenter associations in order
to have credibility with EU (and other) funding sources, to be taken
seriously as an NGO (maybe even becoming a BINGO--Big NGO), and to have
money to help other organizations around the world who have not been
able to raise as much support. This conference was very expensive, and
the 2001 meeting in Argentina has to start raising more money right now.
Others would like to see the conference just be part of a more
ecological development of links, activities, and synergies between those
present and are not convinced a formal structure is needed. However, the
drive to have a formal organization seemed to be of more interest.

Many of us recognize that much more press coverage is being given to the
problems of unequal access, the different penetrations rates of the
Internet in all countries, and the continuing belief that digital
fluency, to use Mitch Resnick's phrase, will determine which people,
towns, and countries do well in the coming years. While the evidence for
this is present in many countries (Clinton's visit to a computer center
in the Navajo Indian reservation in the U.S. being my country's example)
it is also a recurrent theme in Kofi Anan's speeches, those of the World
Bank, and last summer for the G8 meeting in Japan. There, they endorsed
the work submitted the World Economic Forum's group and named this the
Digital Opportunity Task Force(whose public statements were scrutinized
at this conference by Garth Graham, a veteran of Canadian community
networking. It is not online at this moment. Contact
ggraham@itprog.gov.vn for the precise web location about November 15.)
The DOT Force document says they (the governments and probably one
company from each country plus the U.S. Markle Foundation) will sit at
the table with a few developing countries to work out the kind of plans
that will be most useful.  Bertrand de la Chapelle, who tracks new ICT
for the French Foreign Ministry, said this is a time when the third
sector ("civil society" NGOs, etc) will also be invited to the table
within the next two months. The challenge is an interesting one. How
will certain NGO/civil society representatives end up "at the table."

First, there is a spectrum of opinions about how to engage the
government and business sectors. Street protests over globalization in
Seattle, Bangkok, Davos, Washington, Prague, and Melbourne have
presented a challenge to the governments and corporations usually on the
other side of the police lines. Obviously, many don't want "dialogue" or
to work out compromises. They don't want to be "at the table." One
example is Jose Bove who was invited to the Davos Forum but refused to
go, whereas Martin Khor of the Malaysian Third World Network (very big
in the anti-globo circles) did accept. Some groups are in such
opposition that they don't want to work out deals or be part of any
closed discussions with G8 reps and high tech companies.  Others have
been burned by previous partnerships and do not want to get involved
again. Then there are those who remain very suspicious but are willing
to talk. Others see their own role as facilitators, as people who can
speak the language of the non-profit and social sector but also that of
the governments and companies. Moderate groups frequently talk of
strategic public-private partnerships. Others are in need of funds that
they will deal with the devil if it helps them attain their organization
mission. There are also the Alpha NGOs that already have the contacts,
the resources, and the confidence to put themselves forwards as
representatives in such a discussion. However, other candidates might be
from labor, religion, and even family groups which represent many more
people than do computer technology non-profits. In a sense, the core of
the issue is who do NGO's or other civil sector groups represent, and
how will they be selected? To discuss this theoretical problem about who
represents the third sector, Michael Gurstein is setting up an open
mailing list very shortly. Write gurstein@techbc.ca for more
information.

There were enough rooms to house the dozens of workshops on a myriad of
topics. Each one had at least two translators, and that certainly
facilitated understanding. I attended sessions on telecenter formation,
art and community networks, an Asian regional meeting, and one on city
services and community networks. Other topics included
poverty-illiteracy-debt in developing countries; indigenous groups and
the Internet (led by Maori representative Robyn Kamira of New Zealand);
optical Internet; wireless networks; interactive webcasting;
community-based training; knowledge-based cities; social entrepreneurs;
working with young people and people with disabilities; civic digital
rights; e-democracy; local employment and enterprise; women working in
the information society; community health care; sharing information
across communities; multilingual services; linking old media and new;
partnerships with business; building community networks through twinning
(i.e. cities or villages in different countries helping each other); and
various regional meetings.

Manual Castells, who fled Barcelona during Franco's time, did a
videoconference from U.C. Berkeley, and talked about the use of new
media for social organization, giving the example of the supporters of
the Zapatistas (who themselves use more secure methods of communication
that IP traffic moving over networks owned by companies and surveilled
by governments) building up worldwide awareness and sympathy for the
rebels in the forests of Chiapas. Since the publication of Castells'
first volume on the network society, he has become aware of the city and
regional community networking activities. He was even aware of the
recent changes to Amsterdam Digital City which has gone commercial.

Much of the third day was spent discussing the proposed consortium. Four
years ago at an international community networking conference in Taos,
New Mexico, a group of about forty of the faithful tried to form the
International Association of Community Networks, but a Canadian
recommended that the American get their own shit together before going
international, and another person used the complaint about lack of
diversity in the organizing group to question its claim to be
international.  I call this the "where is your Hmong fisherman?"
challenge. By citing the lack of fine grained representation, anyone can
say an organizing group lacks credibility. But in 1996 we did decide to
concentrate on U.S. issues and not start an international group. Now the
organizers of the Barcelona conference are trying again.

The steering committee for the future global CN group met to thrash out
some ideas after all the formal presentations concluded.  The organizers
were quite exhausted, and most of the 60 people present wanted to
contribute, each in their own language. We sat in a circle and traded
ideas and worries without official translators. I stayed silent for most
of the time because my hands are full with INET 2001, and I did not
think I could add much to the process.  Many people volunteered to help
for the forthcoming Argentine conference, but some West Africans left.
They were quite unhappy because they had been planning another global
conference in Dakar for 2001, and now it seemed to be in the background
as everyone rushed to work on the Argentine meeting which may be about
the same time. I'm not sure how that will be resolved to the
satisfaction of the Dakar group.

For some of those present, this meeting was a window into a world they
barely knew existed. They were excited because it seems to be an
intersection of human values, new technology, and a dedication to local
participation that is lacking in other development or technology
projects. For those of use who have been in this game for a while it was
good to see a renewed wave of interest and resources and to meet people
from areas just getting started. The Australians are planning a youth
and community networking conference in 2001, but they made the point
that more young people need to be involved in each meeting, no matter
where it takes place, and that will be a real challenge because most
youth are not habitual conference attendees but are usually showcased
for one meeting or session. I did not have time on stage to make my
comments, but they are in the proceedings that were distributed, and
they should appear on the conference web site later.

Steve Cisler, Barcelona